Respected Contributor

For those that are interested and those that posted about their fond memories of Muhammed Ali, I thought I would post my experience of attending the funeral procession this morning.

My husband (a Vietnam Vet) and I were along the street close to the funeral home as the procession started.  The procession traveled around 25 miles (I think).  It went by many different places in the city of Louisville that were significant to him and his life.  The one place I can think of that it didn't pass was Churchill Downs.  That is a memorable place in regard to Ali's life since he would go there and run the track to train for his boxing events.  The procession did stop and pause by his childhood home.

There were literally thousands and thousands of people along the procession route.  In our area there were many locals, but we also met people from St. Louis, Baltimore, Dallas, and Houston. 

As the procession passed, people immediately started chanting "Ali".  All of the family cars and other cars in the procession had their windows down thanking the people along the route.  Several in our area called out to them to thank them for bringing him home.  Will Smith was also in the procession.  The procession really moved slowly to allow people to say goodbye. 

After it passed us, we ran home and watched the rest of it on TV.  It has been very moving.  Anywhere along the route where there was a church, the church bells rang.  Anchors of the local TV station were located at various parts along the route.  It was very touching that those news people that have covered Ali for so long got choked up themselves as the procession would approach them.  Several along the route would shadow box as the hearse passed. 

Ali is now at the cemetery.  The procession took so long they have moved the time of the memorial this afternoon back at least one hour.  Tickets for the memorial service were gone in a flash when they opened the box office.  In fact, they opened the box office 2 hours early because people had camped there overnight and there were already more people in line than they had tickets.  The service is free, but one has to have a ticket to enter.

There are people here from all over the country and the world.  They have interviewed people from England, Ireland, and Spain just to mention a few.  A gentleman from Iraq that was here for the funeral was also interviewed.  He met Ali when Ali was in Iraq and recalled the time when Ali handed out roses to children in Iraq.  That story is a special story that many locals are familar with and one of the biggest reasons that people were placing roses on the hearse as the procession passed.

I am going to pick up my grandson in a few minutes and hopefully make it back in time to watch the memorial service, but thought I would share that story for those that are interested.

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

@pitdakota

Thank you, PD.  I'm so glad you shared your experience.  Very moving.

N.

Respected Contributor

Wow, thank you for posting this @pitdakota.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is inappropriate

Respected Contributor

@Noel7, @alliswell   You are very welcome. It was really special to be there. 

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks so much, Pitdakota,  for a very visual description ... I missed this on TV; maybe some of it will be replayed later.

Honored Contributor

@pitdakota

TY Languages.png

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

Thank you for sharing, Pity-

Honored Contributor

Thank you Smiley Happy

(I'm watching the memorial service right now)

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

Ali...As with David Bowie and Prince...I find it interesting that no one spoke about them At all prior to their demise. No one spoke  about them here on the chat boards before they died...they were not ever on the news for years.    Almost forgotten. Then they pass and everybody speaks so highly of them...Yet.....not a nice comment prior to their death.  

Seems such a shame that people have to die in order to be praised and talked about. I find that very sad.