Esteemed Contributor

Alexa demo on QVC..lol..

[ Edited ]

So I was taking down Thanksgiving decor with QVC on in the background. I wasn't paying attention at first. Well him telling Alexa to order a book to his Kindle had MY Alexa ordering me a book to my Kindle. I thought I heard mine mumbling but wasn't sure. SO I went to check and cancelled the book and then it asked do I want to cancel my other order (Christmas gifts I ordered) I said Alexa noooo dont cancel that order!.. Next thing within a minute he said Alexa play ocean sounds and ocean sounds came out of MY Alexa. I then turned the channel on the tv before it did anything else. Too funny! I have to pay attention and turn my Alexa off or turn the channel from now on if they are doing demos. lol.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Alexa demo on QVC..lol..

That is funny.  I know this whole Alexa technology is the wave of the future, but I find it a bit creepy ! 

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Trusted Contributor

@Shorty2U

I changed mine’s name to Echo. Haven’t had any problems since doing that. It’s scary what might get ordered if you have the tv on & aren’t paying attention. 

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for the replies.

On the issue of creepy that is kind of true because sometimes it starts talking when we have company and then I'm thinking does it listen all the time, even when I don't say Alexa? 

And I should change the name of mine. I don't know how to as of now, but I'm sure it will be easy if I check that out! 

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

just another device that can be listened in, on.

Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

That is funny.  I know this whole Alexa technology is the wave of the future, but I find it a bit creepy ! 

I doubt it is a wave of the future. Sounds like an experiment like the pet rock...a new toy. And it seems to have a lot of issues that makes it not work very well. 

Honored Contributor

It’s funny when Alexa bursts out saying something on her own.  You wonder where that came from.

Respected Contributor

I love my Echo Dot. I just bought a 2nd one for the downstairs. BF price $30, can't go wrong.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

@reiki604.    The quality of the sound in the DOT is stinko compared to the Echo.  If you want to improve it, pair your Dot with a Bluetooth speaker.  I used a little Bose speaker I got on clearance on HSN and now the sound quality is fabulous.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Puppy Lips wrote:

I doubt it is a wave of the future. Sounds like an experiment like the pet rock...a new toy. And it seems to have a lot of issues that makes it not work very well. 

You may be surprised by the number of gadgets in many homes that have the capability to eavesdrop on people. That sort of technology is not going away, it's becoming more common.