Esteemed Contributor

Their Little Salad Bar brand significantly spicy hummus is great too.

It is under 2 bucks. Cheaper than anywhere else in my area.

Honored Contributor

I tried it a few times after people here raved about, and it just doesn't give me what I need.  I don't like the hassle of carts and bag your own and get out to begin with.

I find that don't have brands I buy, so it is a waste of time to go and look and wonder what you are getting and read all the labels and such.  And they carry so many different things you can't go back and get a lot of the items even if you liked them.

Also, a lot is convenience and prepared foods, frozen foods, snack foods and all that stuff in the middle that I don't care about.  To me it seems like there are more snacks and novelty items than groceries I'm looking for.  And I feel the same way about Trader Joe's.  I wouldn't go to either for a regular grocery stop.

But I am sure everything that I don't like is part of the reason someone else does--so to each their own!  Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

our ALDI is a little over a year old now. i was really looking forward to it when they were in the process of building.

i have been in twice.

i was not impressed at all. i thought i was pretty much the only one who did not care for it. i did not find their veggies and fruits to be that fresh. no bakery, no deli, no seafood on ice. everything is prepackaged. limited frozen foods/veggies.

we have a wonderful selection of grocery stores close by and ALDI and TRADER JOES are pretty much at the bottom of my list.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I was the same way when ours first opened up years ago.  I didn't like that you had to bag your own groceries for one thing and it seemed so -- blah.  Years later when I was trying to save money, I decided why not go in with an open mind.  I did --- and now I love it!  The staff is very friendly and helpful and you go through the lines quickly!  Save so much money and love just about everything I have purchased there.  If you don't like something, they gladly refund $$$.  I will not knock Trader Joe.  I have only been there a few times as the closest one is about 45 minutes away from me.  It is a quality store, but for me, I feel it is rather expensive.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Trusted Contributor

I think our local ALDI is a dump. I don't care how good the cheap grapes are that week, I'm not going in for one thing. I certainly wouldn't buy the meat, given how bad the produce is.

Respected Contributor

@PilatesLover wrote:

I think our local ALDI is a dump. I don't care how good the cheap grapes are that week, I'm not going in for one thing. I certainly wouldn't buy the meat, given how bad the produce is.

Where in the country are you located?  The produce in the one by me, Wisconsin, is good and good prices.  I can get almost all I need to make a weeks worth of salads.  Sometimes they sell out of some items.  The thing with Aldi is they don't have the back room and get produce fresh many times a week.  I don't buy meat there either, i go to the butcher for that.  And when the farms are all producing product I will be buying farm fresh.

Respected Contributor

In my area, we don't have the Aldi's food chain but I've watched many YouTubers who rave about the store and  I always wished we had one.   Now after reading many of your comments about the quality I'm not sure I would even shop there if we had one.

In our area, I guess the equivalent of Aldi's is Winco.   They have most of the name brand products.  We shop there for all of our staple food products but I don't care for their produce department. For those items, we always go to a more expensive store.  I'm pretty picky about produce and always buy organic when I can.

Respected Contributor

They have some good prices on produce but every time I go there I have to check my receipt to make sure I'm charged the right price because there is always something marked wrong no matter how careful I am to read the signs right.  To me it can be a big waste of time.

I like to go to stores with a self check out so I can call someone over if the price is wrong.

Honored Contributor

Although the prices are lower, that's not why I shop there. There are some products that I prefer to the national brands anc can only buy them there. For example, their tuna in the foil packets is better than Starkist and Chicken of the Sea and .85 compared to 1.25 for the others, their premium ice cream has just 5 ingredients and no artificial anything, no guar...I like their natural peanut butter made with cane sugar not high fructose. I also buy their cheese imported from England and Ireland and Irish butter.

I don't get everything there but, for me, it's worth making an extra couple of stops to get the products I like best.

Honored Contributor

We have Aldi's in another area where I go for other stores; I have been in Aldi's twice. Bought only a few things. Did not recognize almost any of the brands and did not like being charged for bags and having to bag my stuff myself. They also charged a deposit for a grocery cart that you had refunded when you put the cart into a carrier. Forget it...I have no time for that! We have a Trader Joe's within walking distance from my home, but I find almost everything they carry is prepared, heat-and-eat meals....not anything i use.