Honored Contributor

Re: Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta

@judy0330.  Whoever planned your trip (you?) did a nice job as you saw things off the beaten path.  Almost nobody thinks of going to Ghost Ranch, for instance.  You must have had inside help as most people never heard of it unless they're big Georgia O'Keefe fans.  It's a gorgeous place.

Lots of us who've seen many balloon fiestas found the the balloons in the fog somewhat surreal and fascinating but felt for those who'd never seen a mass ascension.  The other days except for Thursday were just picture perfect.  I apologize for the day you were here.

@just bee.  I heard Airabelle may be having a calf.  That would be so cute.  Years ago I worked part-time early in the mornings.  As I drove to work around Rio Rancho on a Sunday morning, I noticed she was hanging just above the roof of my parent's house.  Wish I'd had a picture of that.  It was pre-cell phone.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@judy0330.  Whoever planned your trip (you?) did a nice job as you saw things off the beaten path.  Almost nobody thinks of going to Ghost Ranch, for instance.  You must have had inside help as most people never heard of it unless they're big Georgia O'Keefe fans.  It's a gorgeous place.

Lots of us who've seen many balloon fiestas found the the balloons in the fog somewhat surreal and fascinating but felt for those who'd never seen a mass ascension.  The other days except for Thursday were just picture perfect.  I apologize for the day you were here.

@just bee.  I heard Airabelle may be having a calf.  That would be so cute.  Years ago I worked part-time early in the mornings.  As I drove to work around Rio Rancho on a Sunday morning, I noticed she was hanging just above the roof of my parent's house.  Wish I'd had a picture of that.  It was pre-cell phone.

@Kachina624 

It's great when a favorite balloon wanders into the neighborhood.  A few years ago we were out with the dog and Darth Vader hovered above us. 

Darth

I'll miss Airabelle.  I'll look for that calf! Heart

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@judy0330 

So glad you had a great visit -- even though the first day of Balloon Fiesta was "fogged out."  I've heard good things about Geronimo -- sounds like you picked a winner.  (I understand they offer some tempting desserts.)

And you missed our cold front!  It's been in the low 30s the past couple days so mornings on the balloon field have been frigid!

We appreciate our visitors and hope you'll stop by again. Heart

When I was there in May and met with Kachinea I about froze to death

I thought New Mexico would be warmer then even Tx. Nope, it was a bone chiller. DH said "it's the mountains that's what keeps the cold in"

guess the same goes for Riodoso, cold there in the mornings too think I'd better stay away from the mountain areas or bring my fleece coat. LOL

Valued Contributor

@Kachina624   We always travel with Tauck for exactly that reason.  We see and do things that are different from the typical tourist stops.  We loved Ghost Ranch and seeing the exact locations where Georgia O'Keefe did some of her paintings gave us so much more perspective when we visited the O'Keefe Museum.  Our Native American guide on our Rio Grande float trip was an older man who had some fascinating stories.  The scenery was so beautiful. Afterwards we went to a lunch of traditional dishes prepared by his family.  All in all it was a fascinating trip and so completely different from where we live in CT.  As I said to @just bee -- the clear and beautiful shade of blue sky day after day was absoluely gorgeous.  I kept saying to my husband that I wanted to take pictures of just the sky!!

Honored Contributor

@judy0330. The sky and marvelous light are the reasons O'Keefe painted here.

Honored Contributor

@SharkE.  Ruidoso is actually in the Sacramento Mointains.  Albuquerque's altitude is the same as Denver's, 5,270 ft, a mile high.  That's why it's cooler than Amarillo and Phoenix.  Believe me, it wasn't cool in August and September!

Honored Contributor

You can tell by my spelling I'm not a true native hahahahhaha

I'll never forget a gal from 'doso' saying "you amarillo folk come here in the summer to escape the heat" LOL

Honored Contributor

@judy0330 wrote:

@Kachina624   We always travel with Tauck for exactly that reason.  We see and do things that are different from the typical tourist stops.  We loved Ghost Ranch and seeing the exact locations where Georgia O'Keefe did some of her paintings gave us so much more perspective when we visited the O'Keefe Museum.  Our Native American guide on our Rio Grande float trip was an older man who had some fascinating stories.  The scenery was so beautiful. Afterwards we went to a lunch of traditional dishes prepared by his family.  All in all it was a fascinating trip and so completely different from where we live in CT.  As I said to @just bee -- the clear and beautiful shade of blue sky day after day was absoluely gorgeous.  I kept saying to my husband that I wanted to take pictures of just the sky!!

That's true the skies here in Tx and New Mexico are always blue coming from Ind took some getting used too coming out of church on Sunday morning and the sky is blue in Jan.  Ind is dark and dreary and so dark in your house thru the winter months you almost need a flashlight to get from one room to another at noon.

Rain, snow, sleet. ice

Course, we get sleet and in sheets. Not much ice and snow, though.

Rain is spotty.