Contributor

As I stated earlier in this thread, my daughter has a AirBnB unit below her that is like a small apartment with its own garden and private entrance. It is darling, is close to public transportation and you can walk to a popular shopping/eating area.   She has been renting this for about three years.  It is HIGHLY regulated and she had to be certified by the City of San Francisco.  Not easy to do given all the rules and regulations.  AND... she pays a high hotel tax!  Anyone can read the reviews on her unit.  I am not going to go on and on about the misinformation on this thread suffice to say many of you are not unaware of the process or why people from all over the world choose this way to visit our City.  Mostly they say it gives them a more intimate experience of the people and culture of the area they are staying in.  Our visitors are on their honeymoon, visiting grandchildren they can host for a dinner, traveling across the US, etc.  Some are repeat customers.  I respect all your opinions.

Honored Contributor

Thanks everyone for all of your replies! It's been interesting reading your posts, and I've learned a lot.

@JasoninBoston and @devalen - You've both had amazing experiences, one as a renter (your daughter), and one as a guest. Everyone should be as lucky as you have been!

If I were considering renting out, I wouldn't do it unless I had a separate unit like @devalen's daughter! I don't think I could ever rent out a room in my home. I also think I'd be more comfortable STAYING in a place that was separate. 

When I posted originally, I wondered how these are different from regular B&B's. All I'm hearing lately is AIR B&B's. Until recently I didn't know what they were! It sounds like they are almost the same, except for the host having to be responsible for a substantial breakfast. 

As I said earlier, I've been to a few B&B's. They have all been great, and the price is so much better than a hotel (even though we're really hotel people!). Usually we've stayed at one because of location or not being able to book a hotel. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I have a friend who has done this several times in Chicago because her son lives there. She's never had a problem.  She has stayed in an apartment that was vacant because the  original tenant was out of town for work.  I know someone who just did this in Nashville with a group of friends.  Again, they were in the place by themselves.

I would never ever stay inside someone else's home.  I want nothing to do with that.  I would want my own place or I'm not staying.

I know someone who is doing this with their own house and their neighbors are having a fit and have contacted the city to try and get it stopped because there are different people in and out of the house all the time and the neighbors feel like it's bringing the neighborhood down.  Some of the renters are less than desirable people.   They are renting out their entire house, not just a room/floor.

Honored Contributor

There are some places you go and getting a hotel is just not the way to go.  For instance, last year a group of us went to the Finger Lakes region of NY.  We all rented a house right on the lake.  I would never go to this area and rent a hotel.  IMO house rental is the way to go.

I have friends who go to Florida and they rent a house every year right on the water and the same with friends who go to the Outer Banks.

Another rental option for a house is VRBO.  That is how we got our house in NY.