Valued Contributor

AirAsia Plane With 162 on Board Reported Missing on the Way From Indonesia to Singapore

Breaking now

"An Air Asia plane travelling from Surabaya, Indonesia to Singapore has lost contact with air traffic control, Indonesia's Metro TV reported on Sunday.

QZ 8501, reportedly with 162 people on board, took off from Surabaya at 5.20 am local time on Sunday and was scheduled to land at Changi Airport at 8.30 am, according to Metro TV.

Transport Ministry official Hadi Mustofa told Metro TV that the Airbus 320-20 lost contact with the Jakarta air traffic control tower at 6.17 am local time. The plane lost contact somewhere between Kalimantan and Belitung island, he said.

He added that the plane had asked for an unusual route before it lost contact. "

- See more at: http://www.straitstimes.com/news/asia/south-east-asia/story/air-asia-flight-bound-singapore-lost-con...

"If I am not for myself, who will be for me? But if I am only for myself, who am I? If not now, when?" Hillel
Valued Contributor

Re: AirAsia Plane With 162 on Board Reported Missing on the Way From Indonesia to Singapore

"AirAsia confirms contact with Flight QZ8501 lost; status of passengers, crew unknown; search underway."

per abcn.

Passenger Plane Goes Missing Over Pacific

An Air Asia Airbus 320 has gone missing on a flight from Indonesia to Singapore, according to the Na...

"If I am not for myself, who will be for me? But if I am only for myself, who am I? If not now, when?" Hillel
Valued Contributor

Re: AirAsia Plane With 162 on Board Reported Missing on the Way From Indonesia to Singapore

full statement from air asia

Super Contributor

Whoops.. I posted a thread about this too. Scary stuff.
Valued Contributor

flight plan.

Valued Contributor

it appears that air asia waiting 3 hours to confirm plane was lost.

Valued Contributor

On 12/27/2014 SnowPink said: Whoops.. I posted a thread about this too. Scary stuff.

hi snowpink, i can't believe this is happening again. the part that really scares me is the pilot asking for an unusual route and then going radio silence.

Valued Contributor

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

INDONESIA AIRASIA INCIDENT

FOR IMMEDIATE RELASE

INDONESIA AIRASIA INCIDENT

28 December 2014, 11:30am Local Time:- An Indonesia AirAsia aircraft, QZ8501,

scheduled to arrive at 0830 hours local time from Surabaya, lost contact with Jakarta

air traffic control at 0724 hours local time today. Singapore air traffic control was

informed of this loss of contact at 0754 hours by Jakarta air traffic control. The

aircraft was in the Indonesian Flight Information Region (FIR) when contact was lost,

more than 200 nm southeast of the Singapore-Jakarta FIR boundary.

Search and rescue operations have been activated by the Indonesian authorities

from the Pangkal Pinang Search and Rescue office.

The Singapore Rescue Coordination Centre (RCC), managed by the Civil Aviation

Authority of Singapore (CAAS) and supported by various agencies, including the

Republic of Singapore Air Force (RSAF) and the Republic of Singapore Navy (RSN),

has also been activated and has offered help to the Indonesian authorities. Two

C130s are already on stand-by for this purpose. We remain ready to provide any

assistance to support the search and rescue effort.

The CAAS and Changi Airport Group (CAG) Crisis Management Centres have

already been activated. We are working with the airline’s crisis management team.

A waiting area, and all necessary facilities and support have been set up for relatives

and friends of the affected passengers at Changi Airport Terminal 2 (Level 3).

Further updates will be provided once more information is available.

http://www.news.gov.sg/public/sgpc/en/media_releases/agencies/mot/press_release/P-20141228-1/Attachm...

Valued Contributor

Super Contributor

On 12/27/2014 evelomaddict said:
On 12/27/2014 SnowPink said: Whoops.. I posted a thread about this too. Scary stuff.

hi snowpink, i can't believe this is happening again. the part that really scares me is the pilot asking for an unusual route and then going radio silence.

The news is unfolding minute-by-minute. We certainly do not have all the facts at this time. Something that might seem suspicious now, might, in fact have a very reasonable reason as to why things happen the way that they did.

So, lets let all the facts come out first, before we start to jump to conclusions.Smile