Esteemed Contributor

@Its Me LuLuBelle2

@Newgate wrote:

@Its Me LuLuBelle2 wrote:
I'll be 65 later this year. I've been truly blessed with good health, have never been hospitalized or take any medication - and truly do not take that for granted. I was looking at my hands today. They have age spots, some raised knuckles, a little arthritis. It got me thinking about the number of diapers these hands have changed, the number of hands (both big and small) they've held, the number of dishes they've washed, the gardening they've done and the hours they spent "on the job." These hands made me think of the good life I've led and how happy I am to be turning 65. Not all of our sisters have been so fortunate - we've lost far too many to insidious diseases. Our looks may be fading, others may dismiss us at old, but we should embrace who we are, what we've accomplished and I look forward to what's around the corner. LuLu

@Its Me LuLuBelle2  AMEN!  My thoughts exactly!

I second it.  I wish I were 65 again.  I,m 82, and in good health.  I live with my little dog.  We go walking 2 miles everyday.  She goes almost every where.  I lift weights and do senior Zumba gold for 45 min.  I then ride a stationary bike for five miles and weight training.  Last weeks end I trimmedd 17 bushes.  This coming weekend,  I will trim two Italian Cypress trees.  I am a Great Grandmotherandmother 10 or 11 times.

The reason I say this is, because life is good and enjoy every day regardless.  Also you are not old.  I have exercised for 59 years.  Started with Jack La Lanne on a 78.  Very important to start at any age.  Makes you strong.  Your muscles don't atrophy.  If all you can do is  walk fine, or bike. Light weight training..  .

Yes, we get ignored or invisible as we age and some think we don,t have a brain, but you know who you are and you are not worthless.   Don,t act old and helpless, be strong.  Keep up with current ideas a little more and technology.  At the same time do for yourself as much as you can, independence.  

Respected Contributor

I heard a great comment about wrinkles - they don't hurt, and they don't prevent me from doing the things I love.  I am grateful for the life well lived that they reflect.  Yes!

Honored Contributor

@Its Me LuLuBelle2 wrote:
I'll be 65 later this year. I've been truly blessed with good health, have never been hospitalized or take any medication - and truly do not take that for granted. I was looking at my hands today. They have age spots, some raised knuckles, a little arthritis. It got me thinking about the number of diapers these hands have changed, the number of hands (both big and small) they've held, the number of dishes they've washed, the gardening they've done and the hours they spent "on the job." These hands made me think of the good life I've led and how happy I am to be turning 65. Not all of our sisters have been so fortunate - we've lost far too many to insidious diseases. Our looks may be fading, others may dismiss us at old, but we should embrace who we are, what we've accomplished and I look forward to what's around the corner. LuLu

@Its Me LuLuBelle2

You are exceptionally blessed to have such good health at almost 65!  And it's wonderful that you realize and appreciate it. So many don't and just take it for granted.  I, am almost 66 and trust me when I say I am grateful for my life and for my husband.  Every day and night --- and in between --- I thank the Good Lord for all that he does for me.  However, I have not been so fortunate, nor has my husband, when it comes to good health.  Every day is a gift!!! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Some really great and meaningful thoughts here but also a few awfully negative.  I'm 65 and don't think of myself as old - but just as me!  I workout daily (like I always have) - 45 minutes resistance, 45 minutes Zumba Activate, walk with my dog for 3 miles daily among other things and don't really think about the age number.  And yes I use many skin care products and makeup (that actually do work to improve my skin) because I want to look and feel my best and not to stop aging.  There's nothing wrong with that like someone stated.  I have a great life not always free from problems or health issues.  Sure I have aches and pains, am noticing some wrinkles, bumpy fingers,  and some stiffness but I just keep being me and will not give in to them saying I embrace my age.  Also, I have never felt nor have I been made to feel irrelevant because of my age.  I think that's something many project on themselves.  Life at any age can be trying and I am not defined by a number or by being old or young. 

Honored Contributor

You have hit on something I observed too.  I think if you can do molds, take pictures, or whatever, instead of pictures or along with them, this would be a wonderful way to remember our loved ones.  We don't need finger prints, even put the "generations" together of oldest to youngest in a family and take a close up picture of the hands.  I'd love to have a picture of mine, my sister's, my mom's and her mother's hands.  

Our newspaper once had a "generations" picture of members of the same family. Not taking the paper now, I don't know if they still do that.

edited to add:  These wrinkles and these gray hairs, I've earned them!  Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@Its Me LuLuBelle2- MANY THANKS FOR YOUR BEAUTIFUL COMMENTS,  and I could not agree more!

I am grateful for every day, and always striving to keep myself up mentally and physically (and socially and morally to, LOL) as best I can. 

Hard times come, you swim against the tide for a while, and sometimes you have to grab a branch to keep yourself from floating away, but you KEEP SWIMMING!

Please Ladies, when you’re feeling down about anything at all, READ WHAT LULU HAS WRITTEN!

Respected Contributor

@Its Me LuLuBelle2, Brava!!!

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

@Its Me LuLuBelle2

You wrote one of the best posts I've EVER read on these boards!

Happy 65th year to you! 

Honored Contributor

What a wonderful, positive thread!

I'm 65 but in poor health, in fact I had my first surgery at age 6, so I feel like I've been on borrowed time for almost 60 years.   But how blessed I've been!    I've lived a most wonderful life.    

I'm grateful for every day.   I've been blessed with 2 wonderful childen and 3 grandchildren.  I have many very sweet friends and my faith is always strong, no matter my trials, which in itself is a blessing.

Continued good health, @Its Me LuLuBelle2 and all who replied.

Trusted Contributor

@Its Me LuLuBelle2

This is the most beautiful post I've ever read on this board.  Thank you for it.