Esteemed Contributor

Aviator Wally Funk wanted to be an astronaut in the earliest days of spaceflight. Sixty years later, on July 20, she'll finally go to space with Blue Origin.

Funk was one of 13 female aviators later dubbed the Mercury 13 who, in 1961, passed all the exams necessary for admission to NASA's astronaut corps and lobbied the federal government to send women into space. NASA and Congress demurred and women were excluded from becoming U.S. astronauts for more than a decade; Sally Ride became the first American woman to fly in space in 1983.

But, if all goes according to plan, in just three weeks, Funk will spend four minutes beyond the bounds of gravity. "I'll love every second of it," Funk said of her flight in a video released by Blue Origin. "I can hardly wait."

More at:  space.com/blue-origin-launching-mercury-13-aviator-wally-funk-1st-crewed-flight

P.S.  If you are into spunk and enthusiasm don't overlook the video

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

Thanks, good info.

Respected Contributor

Good for her!  Guess it's never too late to fulfill your dream.

Denise
Esteemed Contributor

Yes!  I saw Wally's story on the news last night.  She was so excited it made me excited for her.  Too bad she missed her shot on the Mercury flights decades ago, but so happy she's going into space now in her 80's.  I'll definitely be following her story.

Thanks for posting this, @Marp 

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

How wonderful to finally get your dream!!!!

Honored Contributor

She is my hero!!! Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

82! The lady is eighty freaking two! Now none of us have any excuse to ever give up on our dreams. Thank you for this, @Marp.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Trusted Contributor

Good for her!! I love stories like this.