Esteemed Contributor

I remember those day @Annabellethecat66 ....

During the summer months...we had to be home at 5 sharp for dinner and when the street lights went on....other than that our Parents didn't know whee we were at. We did hang out with the other neighborhood kids though.

Ilet my daughter play out in the yard while I kept an eye on her from the house in the 80's

Now I don't let my Granddaughter out of my sight and I am always right there with her.

Different times for sure...

Honored Contributor

Not being critical, but isn't everything in the first post just common sense?   What woman doesn't pay attention to her surroundings when she goes out?  

Respected Contributor

I guess it doesn't hurt to be reminded to watch our safety every so often.  This week there was a shooting right outside my former apartment building.  Scary!  

Honored Contributor

Re: ATTENTION LADIES

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Not being critical, but isn't everything in the first post just common sense?   What woman doesn't pay attention to her surroundings when she goes out?  

@Tinkrbl44   Uh, the women who are being shot, raped, robbed in parking lots.

Trusted Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 Many women (and men and teens and children) do NOT believe "it can happen to me".  The "not in MY community" is one that criminals LIVE for because it CAN happen in any community in the world. So though it may be common sense to you or I or others who live in areas where crime is on the news nightly (or 24 hours a day depending on where you live), it isn't for many.

There are also those that live with the attitude of "I'm not allowing THOSE PEOPLE to ruin my community, so I WILL go out and about as if all is fine".  Wonderful in theory and many support it however, it would take the ENTIRE community to be and out about for that happen. One person, walking a trail through wooded area in the dark that is not lit well......it WOULD be nice but it isn't a reality today. 

(Unless you're experienced in self-defence; trained and armed, of course).

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Honored Contributor

I tend to see that guys really don't understand this stuff.  When I was a notary I had enough contacts in businesses and personal business that I went by word of mouth.  I would go to these peoples' houses or businesses and do the job.

One day my husband suggested I put it on Craig's List.   He totally did not get that it was a very bad idea for me to do that and go to some stranger's house.   That's just one example of how I've noticed, over the decades, that they tend not to understand the difference.  I'm pretty much unable to defend myself anymore.

I do all the things in the OP, and especially 'know your surroundings' is very important.  When I am going into the grocery store (or wherever), or coming out, I keep myself appraised of my surroundings all the way to my destination.  You can be followed, or somebody could be waiting to jump you.

As much as I would love to live alone it also scares me half to death, thinking about it.   When you get older, it's much more scary.

Honored Contributor

no ATM's  run in the evening? Really?

Honored Contributor

@FiddleDeeDee wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 Many women (and men and teens and children) do NOT believe "it can happen to me".  The "not in MY community" is one that criminals LIVE for because it CAN happen in any community in the world. So though it may be common sense to you or I or others who live in areas where crime is on the news nightly (or 24 hours a day depending on where you live), it isn't for many.

There are also those that live with the attitude of "I'm not allowing THOSE PEOPLE to ruin my community, so I WILL go out and about as if all is fine".  Wonderful in theory and many support it however, it would take the ENTIRE community to be and out about for that happen. One person, walking a trail through wooded area in the dark that is not lit well......it WOULD be nice but it isn't a reality today. 

(Unless you're experienced in self-defence; trained and armed, of course).

@FiddleDeeDee 

Okay.  Well, certainly there's not a lot to be done for people in denial, so the first post would be meaningless to those with that attitude.  However, I just find it hard to believe women don't think about their own personal safety when they go out into the world, regardless of where they live.  Obviously, we can't generalize, but most women aren't that careless.  JMO, of course.  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: ATTENTION LADIES

[ Edited ]

Lots of women are that careless!  

Especially the younger women!  They think they are invincible!

Honored Contributor

Just watch a show like Dateline.  There are so many TV shows where women are killed...well..it is crazy.

Some of the ones that comes to mine would be where a woman went inside to pay at the gas pump.

She didn't think anything about it.  It was still daylight out.

Go to evening and her family came home...she wasn't there and neither was her car!

They tracked down her movements via the cameras outside of places.

Long story short.  Her jacket was red.  It attracted (red) the color of a terrible man.

He followed her and ran into back of her car.  Pulled her out and killed her because red was the color he thought he had to kill people wearing it.

That's a case of you can't avoid it.  However, there are a lot of cases where you can avoid it.

We are told if it's dark and lights go flashing like a cop car, pull into a place like a 7-11.  If you go slow and put on emergency lights if it's a real cop he will understand.

This actually happened to a female friend of mine.  She did all of the above but she also called 911 and said what she was doing.

When she got to the 7-11 no cop car.  She found out someone was actually pulling women over and he wasn't a cop.

Look!  We can't live our lives in fear.  But we can use some common sense.

As far as people thinking "This can't happen to me"..well there have been a lot of time I found myself thinking "this is just like on TV.

Ive been involved in several really bad car accidents.

My house has been hit by lightning 3 times. The last one my roof caught on fire and my late husband and I lived in a hotel for 5 full months.

At that time 9/11 happened and I had 2 daughters get married.

Things can and do happen to everyone.