Honored Contributor

Got money today at a Citibank ATM.  You need the debit card to open the door to get to the machines.   While I was getting cash, a man was trying to use his card to get in and could not.  When I left I made sure the door closed behind me so that he could not get in.  

He said  "thanks a lot" but although I kind of felt bad, I will not allow access on my card.

What would you have done??

Esteemed Contributor

Same thing you did....................

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

never heard of doors on an ATM. Not where I live

Honored Contributor

I would have let him in as I walked out.  I wouldn't have let him in while I was still using the ATM.

I tend not to use those anyway.  I usually get cash at the grocery store or through the drive thru ATM.

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

Got money today at a Citibank ATM.  You need the debit card to open the door to get to the machines.   While I was getting cash, a man was trying to use his card to get in and could not.  When I left I made sure the door closed behind me so that he could not get in.  

He said  "thanks a lot" but although I kind of felt bad, I will not allow access on my card.

What would you have done??

@kaydee50 

???   Was the bank closed?   If so, what could he possiby have done .....  are you thinking vandalism?    Banks have cameras everywhere, so what were you concerned with?   Closing the door in someone's face seems rather rude.

Honored Contributor

some of our banks in the area have this......a small vestibule with one or two ATMs that need to be accessed by your card during non banking hours.

i generally prefer to use the drive up ATMs.

i probably would have let him in when i was in the process of leaving, especially if i had seen he was having difficulty with his card/magnetic strip.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

Our bank is that way too. I would have done the same thing. If your card won't let you access the door to enter, you probably don't need to be there.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden  It was inside a bank which is closed today.

@Tinkrbl44  I should have also mentioned a woman went in ahead of me.  I waited until the door closed and then used my own card.  I did not want to follow her in.  I thought that would have been rude.

I don't know what could have happened.  But these days anything is possible and I did not want to allow access to someone who may not have been completely honest.

Honored Contributor

I porbably would have done the same thing.  There's a reason his card wasn't letting him in.

I say probably because I do not have a debit card.

Respected Contributor

Never have seen those where we live.  But I probably would have left him in as I exited.