Honored Contributor

ALERT: If you have Dish Network

Got a call today that showed on my Caller ID, that said Dish Network, and it had their correct 800 phone number. It was a SCAM  call that I recognized right away.

First it was a voice that is from another country(one most of you have probably heard) which got my attention right at the getgo. Then he started with "we are putting a new satellite up in the sky  so we needed to let you know you will have some programming changes.

He went into some technical BS that I know was a bunch of crup, so now I was sure. Anyways here is what NOT TO DO: 

DO NOT ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT ANYTHING HE MAY ASK.  HANG UP, unless you are like me that likes to play with them to amuse myself, while also using up time they would use to try to scam others.

I talked with Dish Network Fraud Department to make them aware of this problem. They said they had not heard this from anyone yet. He told me they will send out something to all their customers(email or under the MY ACCOUNT icon on the HOME button on your remote). I suggested the put a live video automatically into the RECORDING TAB on your DVR or Joey. 

Whatever Dish Network decides to do just BE AWARE AND HANG UP WITHOUT ANSWERING A SINGLE QUESTION ASKED.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

Re: ALERT: If you have Dish Network

Thank you @hckynut. I do have dish network, glad you let us know. I am so sick of all these scams. Seems like something new everyday.

Honored Contributor

@hckynut.  Did they try to sell something or were they seeking some kind of info?  What was the scam?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

In addition to what hickorynut said....whatever you do, do NOT speak to these scammers and especially don't say the word "yes" in any way. This recorded word can be used to scam others or steal your identity.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

@hckynut.  Did they try to sell something or were they seeking some kind of info?  What was the scam?

Trying to get any info you are willing to give them. They say they are upgrading your programming and they need to upgrade your Receiver or DVR. Asking you to verify your Dish info by giving password or anything connected to your Dish account. Try to tell you you will need the upgrade and to keep programming you have to give the info so they can electronically upgrade your equipments ability to receive the Dish satellite signal.

Best I can tell you as I didn't talk with the scammer very long. His last words were "I am going to cancel your service", that is when I laughed at him and hung up. He was ticked off.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

@hckynut

I usually don’t answer but if I saw Dish Network I might be tempted to answer. Thanks for the heads-up. It’s amazing how these scammers can have any info they want show up on Caller ID. I once had my own name & number show up. Was curious how I could be calling my own # so I answered. Never again...

Respected Contributor

I never answer calls from numbers I don’t know. 

My step father, who is 87, answered. The scammers can tell by his voice that he is old and they are relentless. They call all day wanting to “fix his computer”. 

There is a special place in “heck” for these people 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Once, I asked a solicitor what country he was calling from.....

He said Texas.

Trusted Contributor

wrote:

He said Texas.

😆😂

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."--Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

wrote:

He said Texas.

Well, we USED TO be our own country! LOL 🤣