Respected Contributor

Berry Eagles - Pip in one egg

Looks like an eaglet will arrive soon!

Respected Contributor

Re: Berry Eagles - Pip in one egg

@ Montana I’ve been watching three different eagle’s nests online for the last three or four years.   The one that I find really fascinating is the trio nest on the Mississippi (I think in Illinois). There is one female and two males that all work together. Last year the female was in a fight with some intruding eagle and never came back to the nest.  The two males successfully raised the two babies on their own.  They found a new female for this year.  She laid her first egg on 2-10. It was kind of sad (to me - I know it doesn’t really bother her) seeing her laying in her nest piled with snow. 

Respected Contributor

@itsmagic wrote:

@ Montana I’ve been watching three different eagle’s nests online for the last three or four years.   The one that I find really fascinating is the trio nest on the Mississippi (I think in Illinois). There is one female and two males that all work together. Last year the female was in a fight with some intruding eagle and never came back to the nest.  The two males successfully raised the two babies on their own.  They found a new female for this year.  She laid her first egg on 2-10. It was kind of sad (to me - I know it doesn’t really bother her) seeing her laying in her nest piled with snow. 

Polyamory among birds. That is fascinating.  And the successful adjustment of gender roles for the survival of the eaglets.

Respected Contributor

have been watching eagle's nest at Big Bear Lake here in Cali.  2 new eaglets hatched the last few days and the parents are well into feeding them and adjusting to parenthood. there was snow at the Lake last night - so it was a cold one out in the wild, but all seems well.  you can participate at iws.org  - go to "click here for nestcams" to watch nests in 6 or 8 different locations.  fascinating stuff.