Honored Contributor

Not a whole family for $250, but I think two people could do it. Maybe I should try. I know I get my chili ingredients there and we can get 12 servings for a few bucks. My chili is more like hamburger vegetable soup so the meat costs about $3.50.

Honored Contributor

@ScrapHappy 

Don't have them here .... is it a discount place?

Trusted Contributor

I'm not surprised at all by what the OP said!! While I don't shop there regularly, there prices are great...so l should shop there more often. 

The first time shopping there a young girl, with her little one, was bagging her groceries and l said to her that l couldn't believe how cheap their prices are. I'll never forget what she said... "I know! I would never be able to afford to buy all these groceries for my daughter and me if it wasn't for this store!" That made me happy for her!! ❤

Honored Contributor

She must be very frugal.  I don't know how she would do that for 7 people but I imagine if you really try, you could do it.  And as others have said, if you have a garden, etc., I guess it could be accomplished.  Aldi's as far as I know, has about the best prices.  But DH and I were saying the other day when we were food shopping --- how do 2 people use and buy so much stuff every week?  And we are not extravagant, nor do we buy expensive things and we buy a lot of off-brand products.  There are certain things, however, that DH will not accept anything but brand names and I have a couple of those things myself.  We occasionally buy steaks - not often -- and we think the price of meat in general is terribly high.  Serving meatless meals would be a lot cheaper and healthier too I would think.

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

I like a lot of things Aldi has and consider it a supplement to our Walmart and Publix.  Some things are good like the meat and some things are not.  Not much of a selection on a lot of things.  I cannot imagine it being the only store for our needs.

Contributor

@Tinkrbl44  It is not discounted.  Aldi's is bare bones with hardly to none name brands.  Sometimes you will see Hellmans (at least at my Aldi's) or other stuff. Past that it is generic brand stuff (mainly Millville for creale).   IE if you want corn flakes you will find Millville Corn Flakes. No Post or Kelloge. Same with Mayo. No Hellmans for the most part or Dukes (as mentioned sometimes Hellmans. But then no other option for Mayo).   You have to bag your own stuff.  Bring your own bags. If you don't have a bag you have to pay for paper bags.  All meats are prepackaged.  No deli counter.  You have to deposit a 25 cent to get a cart. But you get it back when you return it. 

Honored Contributor

I find it hard to believe. I was in Aldis a couple of times ,and didn't see anything I would buy

Nothing looked good to me at all

Honored Contributor

Aldi is another store that I don't get the big whoop about.  As @Carmie said, they aren't always the cheapest game in town around here and a lot of the foods I don't like at all.  

I can often get foods cheaper at Giant Eagle if they are on sale and even better if I have a coupon.  Some of the produce at my Aldi is okay but some of it is gross.  It's almost impossible to find a decent bag of lettuce from there and often times it's a couple of days away from expiring.  Even if it's not on the verge of expiration, it's often brown and slimy.  

Most name brand foods, snacks or soda they carry are more than in the regular grocery store.  Not a fan of their meats at all.  There are some things that are very good there but there is no way I could do my weekly grocery shopping from there.  Not even close.    

Respected Contributor

@viva923 

You mentioned a connection beween ownership of Lidl and Aldi.

No relationship.  They also sell very different items.

.  If you search the internet for info on the two stores, you can read interesting things.

Here's one link that is somewhat informative.........

https://www.aldireviewer.com/how-are-aldi-and-lidl-related/

Respected Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

Aldi is another store that I don't get the big whoop about.  As @Carmie said, they aren't always the cheapest game in town around here and a lot of the foods I don't like at all.  

I can often get foods cheaper at Giant Eagle if they are on sale and even better if I have a coupon.  Some of the produce at my Aldi is okay but some of it is gross.  It's almost impossible to find a decent bag of lettuce from there and often times it's a couple of days away from expiring.  Even if it's not on the verge of expiration, it's often brown and slimy.  

Most name brand foods, snacks or soda they carry are more than in the regular grocery store.  Not a fan of their meats at all.  There are some things that are very good there but there is no way I could do my weekly grocery shopping from there.  Not even close.    

Ditto. I mainly shop Giant Eagle and do pretty well. Aldi is about 14 miles for me. I had high hopes when I first went there and discovered it wasn't worth the trip.