Honored Contributor

@PilatesLover wrote:

Our local ALDI is a hole and I don't waste my time going in there.  Maybe if I still had kids I'd get the cheap milk and snacks but I'd still have to go somewhere else for meat and produce. Sure their produce is cheap, and it better be if it's turning to compost.  Based on the state of the produce you couldn't pay me to try their meat.

The only things i've purchased from there that were acceptable quality were a step stool and a garbage can. Oh yes, a package of German chocolate.

I heard their brands of potato chips and tortilla chips, and gluten free items, were wonderful.  I thought all of them were horrid.  The tortilla chips tasted like particle board and the gluten free was so horrid I threw it out to the birds.

I also tend to see raves about their candies and sweets and processed foods. We don't eat many of those so why bother. 

The staff is also nasty.

Apparently not all Aldi's are created equal.

Honored Contributor

@PilatesLover.  Where is this store located so I know not to go if I am in the area?

Respected Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

I hated it at first..... 1.  the crazy restricted grocery aisles up and down and no cross overs, 2.  shopping cart with a quarter  3.  products that not standard and many times not repeated.  

But  I LOVE IT NOW.  Great prices, chances to try something new, fast check outs (with  cashiers) and we they are expanding. I can find more than one store within a 20 mile radius and beyond.  

Cannot buy Aldi stock since it is not offered. LOL

I agree with you 110%. We got an Aldis about a year ago. I, after shopping at Giant for the past 30 years was so brand loyal and Giant loyal. Our Giant closed up and we were left with too many Food Lions and Walmarts. So the first few times I went to Aldi, I was so impatient and not impressed. My daughter told me, mom you need to go when you can take your time and really familiarize yourself with the store and their brands. So I took her advice and now I absolutely LOVE IT.  No longer brand loyal as their brands are very good. As are their meats. Our Aldi has probably noticed an uptick in shoppers and they have expanded their products quite a bit to offer more variety. I did my grocery shopping last week and got everything for 120$. And I still feed four on a regular basis and 7 when my daughter and kids come.  That super beats walmart.  Now the only thing I do not like of their brand are yogurt and mayo. But they do carry Dukes, so I grab that.  I’m thrilled with it...

Honored Contributor

@bmorechick Funny thing about their brand yogurt; DH HATES it. One day, I bought two for me (peach and strawberry) and DH informed me that they must have changed something because OMG HE LOVES IT.

What I found out was I had purchased him the regular which is lower fat milk (not the fat free one, the lower fat one). The two I purchased were made with whole milk. HUGE difference in flavor. I tried one of the regular ones...bleh. They're not separated by fat % so I had no idea I was buying different yogurts each time. Now I look for them and you have to read the lid because they all look the same. Price wise, the whole milk yogurts at my local Giant run $2.99 a piece. Aldi's is 45 cents. They amount you receive is more at Aldi's as well.

I've told a couple of people about the yogurt and their feedback is now that they know to look for the whole milk ones, that's all they buy and yes, they love the flavor (didn't like the regular one). They only offer the whole milk in peach, strawberry and vanilla; wish they would add more flavors (at least that's all my store carries).

Frequent Contributor

That's $1.19 per person per day or .40 cent per meal. Considering it's 7 people in the family, I assume at least some of them are children. Is it possible to provide 3 balanced healthy meals each day for a child on .40/meal?

Milk? Fresh fruit? Snacks?

Since it says all her food shopping, that would have to include any spices, condiments etc to prepare a meal.

Honored Contributor

we have an ALDI that is a little more than a year old.

i have been in there twice.

i am not really a fan.

i did not find the quality of many of the products up to par.

dont care for their meats/chicken at all.

i miss buying the brand names that i absolutely love.

i dont like that they dont have a bakery or a deli in the store.

we have so many grocery stores in our area. i can go a mile or two in any direction from my home and get to 7 different grocery stores plus SAMS CLUB. i go to three on a regular basis and get to sams club every other week usually.

i find it hard to believe that a family of 7 can spend only $250 a month for groceries and feed the entire family.....unless they eat out quite a bit and buy school lunches and those things PLUS paper and cleaning products are not figured into that $250. i know that for 3-4 people (not counting entertaining) that i spend more than that easily.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Yes, I find it hard to believe. Aldi's is fine for the occasional trip to pick up a few thing, but I could no more do a full shopping trip at Aldi's than I could at Target or Walmart. When it gets down to it, the variety just isn't there. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

@bmorechick Funny thing about their brand yogurt; DH HATES it. One day, I bought two for me (peach and strawberry) and DH informed me that they must have changed something because OMG HE LOVES IT.

What I found out was I had purchased him the regular which is lower fat milk (not the fat free one, the lower fat one). The two I purchased were made with whole milk. HUGE difference in flavor. I tried one of the regular ones...bleh. They're not separated by fat % so I had no idea I was buying different yogurts each time. Now I look for them and you have to read the lid because they all look the same. Price wise, the whole milk yogurts at my local Giant run $2.99 a piece. Aldi's is 45 cents. They amount you receive is more at Aldi's as well.

I've told a couple of people about the yogurt and their feedback is now that they know to look for the whole milk ones, that's all they buy and yes, they love the flavor (didn't like the regular one). They only offer the whole milk in peach, strawberry and vanilla; wish they would add more flavors (at least that's all my store carries).

Oh wow I will keep that in mind!  Thanks! Now I noticed near the cheese section in my store that there is a different brand yogurt a little more pricey that Aldi brand. Yeah we usually eat vanilla and orange creamsicle and the lime Oikos brand that I get at walmart. Hubs only eats vanilla. I will do a closer check on that👍

Honored Contributor

We just had an Aldi's open in our city, and yesterday was my first time there!  I was surprised that is was not bigger, but we had a nice shopping experience and we will  return.  

Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

I agree with the poster above that yes, it is absolutely possible to eat really really cheaply but it depends on what you buy and how you use it.  You could do absolutely the same thing at Whole Foods or any grocery store if you invest the time and effort and don't just eat what you want.

I also think Aldi is only "cheaper" because people buy a LOT of high margin stuff there (like snacks and all that other "stuff" they sell in the middle) which offsets any markdowns they have on frequently used items--loss leaders.  AND they carry non-national brands which they probably wholesale buy remarkably cheap.

I think they make their profits on junk food, impulse items and "stuff"

I also will say that I NEVER go to WalMart for groceries or much of anything.  However, I had a gift card there and yesterday did a big drive through delivery order of canned goods, staples like soy sauce, sugar, and items I needed to restock.  It came to about $100.  

I was shocked because so many things were actually higher than I pay for elsewhere.  Like Aldi's, I think they mark way down common items and are at or above other stores on most things.  I don't see real savings there, at least for stuff we buy.   I think they make their profits on junk food, impulse items and "stuff" also.

We buy fresh produce, some canned staples, we use our bread machine a lot, milk and dairy, only buy chips once in a blue moon and basically never buy frozen items except veggies and fruits--no cakes, pizzas, boxed frozen meals, etc. etc.  We don't eat a lot of meat, but buy that at either Whole Foods (wonderful meat counter in OKC) or the local butcher shop.  Organic eggs at wonderful prices are from a local natural foods small grocery.

My experience is that it matters way more what we buy than where we buy it.  FOR US. 

I dont think that would work at all at Whole Foods if their prices are anything like what they are here.....

Well, here their prices are not that bad, especially for their very good 365 house brands.  I found Rao's sauces there a few weeks ago cheaper than I have seen them anywhere else--and bought 9 on them. 

But again, it in large part depends on what you buy.