Honored Contributor

I believe the woman with a family of 7 could feed her family for $250. But I bet she plans her meals and follows sales and specials.

Several years ago the Walmart ads would also print recipes and the cost per serving for each recipe. One of my family's favorite meals is $ .57 per serving. 

I am sure the woman has her family's meals well planned out. She puts in time and effort and it works for her.

Honored Contributor

Maybe she also utilizes a food pantry, who knows?

Respected Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

We shop at Aldi's for produce, pantry staples, milk, bread, snacks and the like.

They are about 60 cents per item cheaper than the regular supermarket on most items.  Not the canned goods but the regular price of canned goods are cheaper than Shoprite's can-can sale prices.

We don't buy meat, fish or chicken there.

I shop Aldi's just as you do.  I hit it before my main grocery store and save so much money.  Their produce is the best!  so fresh.  You can find alot of great foods at Aldi you just need to get over the hype that BIG Grocery has choked us with all these years and give it a try.

Honored Contributor

Expanding on something @drizzellla said:

Cost PER meal. When I started really focusing on the "Cost Per" is when I began to see the value of something be it clothing, shoes, furniture or a meal. In the end, the money I have saved is shocking. It disgusts me how much money I wasted not realizing the value wasn't there.

Every time I make a meal, it needs to feed every family member well PLUS give me 3 extra meals; that way DH has a lunch for work the next day and 2 of my sons can grab a hot, home made meal between school and work (or another lunch for DH). So I need NINE meals out of 1 dish. What tickles me is when a dish makes 12 servings or more (how BIG were these 8 servings supposed to be?!) with a cost of 75 CENTS or LESS per meal!!!  Now, think of the fast food junk and what THAT costs. It's become sort of a game to see how low I can go. So far, 20 cents is the lowest, lol. 

It does take time and effort. But the results and the money saved is SO worth it.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I agree with the poster above that yes, it is absolutely possible to eat really really cheaply but it depends on what you buy and how you use it.  You could do absolutely the same thing at Whole Foods or any grocery store if you invest the time and effort and don't just eat what you want.

I also think Aldi is only "cheaper" because people buy a LOT of high margin stuff there (like snacks and all that other "stuff" they sell in the middle) which offsets any markdowns they have on frequently used items--loss leaders.  AND they carry non-national brands which they probably wholesale buy remarkably cheap.

I think they make their profits on junk food, impulse items and "stuff"

I also will say that I NEVER go to WalMart for groceries or much of anything.  However, I had a gift card there and yesterday did a big drive through delivery order of canned goods, staples like soy sauce, sugar, and items I needed to restock.  It came to about $100.  

I was shocked because so many things were actually higher than I pay for elsewhere.  Like Aldi's, I think they mark way down common items and are at or above other stores on most things.  I don't see real savings there, at least for stuff we buy.   I think they make their profits on junk food, impulse items and "stuff" also.

We buy fresh produce, some canned staples, we use our bread machine a lot, milk and dairy, only buy chips once in a blue moon and basically never buy frozen items except veggies and fruits--no cakes, pizzas, boxed frozen meals, etc. etc.  We don't eat a lot of meat, but buy that at either Whole Foods (wonderful meat counter in OKC) or the local butcher shop.  Organic eggs at wonderful prices are from a local natural foods small grocery.

My experience is that it matters way more what we buy than where we buy it.  FOR US. 

I dont think that would work at all at Whole Foods if their prices are anything like what they are here.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

We dont have Aldis here in South Texas....our main grocer is HEB.....I think if you planned your meals carefully, cooked everything from scratch, and bought store brands and no junk food or snacks, utilized coupons and specials you could do it.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Super Contributor

Ithink the key word here is FOOD Shopping....doesnt count...paper products, cleaning products, laundry products.....I find tht those things make uo at least half of my grocery experience.....NO ONE in a family of 7 spends 250 a month on all groceries....

Honored Contributor

I supposed it can be done depending on where you live and what you buy.

in my area, Aldi's is not the cheapest for most things and some things are not very good.

it's just my DH and I and I am retired and can shop anywhere.  My food budget is unlimited, within reason.

My DH will not eat bread or bread products from Aldi's.  He said they taste funny and are dry.  I buy a lot of half and half for his coffee; the cheapest place for that is actually Target.

Aldi does sell UTZ chips for $1.99 a bag which is a steal. I buy there when we are having company for picnics, etc.

We have a Karns Market which sells first quality meat and they have a full meat dept with meat cutters there that sell meat for really low prices.  I often get NY strip steak for about $5 a lb and chicken legs, thighs and wings for .50 a pound..eggs .50 a dozen.

Also, we have a Sharp Shopper Store, which almost gives food away with their low prices.  Every Wednesday morning, Pepperage Farm breads are delivered fresh.  Everything is $1.49.

Hershey full size candy bars are either 2, 3, or 4 for $1.  I eat gluten free and Udi products are .99.  They are around $6 in the grocery stores. At this store, the inventory changes daily, so you have to be there at the right time.

I picked up 12 one pound cans of refrigerated lump c rab meat for $8 each.  The deals go on and on.  People drive from hours away and fill up their vans with groceries.  Even the Amish shop there.  They arrive in large caravans and buy in quantity. 

I grocery shop for two elderly women, who have very limited funds.  I buy them groceries twice a month on my dime.  Sharp Shopper allows me to buy them a lot of food for very little money.  Jiffy peanut butter is .99 and Ritz crackers, full size box...2 for $1.  Most name brand breakfast cereals are $1.99 for a large box. A half a gal of orange juice is 2 for $1.

I have two refrigerators and and two deep freezers and buy in quantity when I get a good deal.  We don't eat out much and we do not eat processed ready made foods if at all possible.  I cook from scratch for most items.

We eat very well, better than most people I think, and I always shop for a bargain.

LOL. Had to laugh.  QVC will not let me use the correct spelling for krab and it's an item they have in their inventory.  Too funny.

Honored Contributor

@ProudMa  Detergent that replaced Kirkland (rated top by Consumer Reports)in my house is Aldi's for $2.99 for a huge jug. Cleans better than anything I've ever used. No laundry sheets used.

Toilet paper and paper towels is half what Walmart charges which is about a quarter of what Giant charges. Kirkland comes out to be 25 cents more PER roll than Aldi's despite buying it in bulk.

Spic and Span cleaner is 75 cents. Baking soda is 45 cents, vinegar is $1.50 for a huge jug, dishwasher soap is cheapie cheap stuff. As per Heloise, home made cleaner for home comes to pennies a BOTTLE. 

Yep, I include that in my budget when I go shopping. The final bill is what matters and I set a limit; it needs to come in at that amount or less...and it does. So I don't doubt she does it for that amount.

Trusted Contributor

Our local ALDI is a hole and I don't waste my time going in there.  Maybe if I still had kids I'd get the cheap milk and snacks but I'd still have to go somewhere else for meat and produce. Sure their produce is cheap, and it better be if it's turning to compost.  Based on the state of the produce you couldn't pay me to try their meat.

The only things i've purchased from there that were acceptable quality were a step stool and a garbage can. Oh yes, a package of German chocolate.

I heard their brands of potato chips and tortilla chips, and gluten free items, were wonderful.  I thought all of them were horrid.  The tortilla chips tasted like particle board and the gluten free was so horrid I threw it out to the birds.

I also tend to see raves about their candies and sweets and processed foods. We don't eat many of those so why bother. 

The staff is also nasty.