Honored Contributor

Re: A regret, and an honest look in the mirror

Next time, march that person up (or tell the relative) to get the person in the door.  They should be able to help a person in a wheel chair right in.  We can't have all gone mad!!

Trusted Contributor

@suzyQ3 Actually, it pretty much is the norm. Sad, but true. Even the police always advise against giving panhandlers money. There are all kinds of places for homeless people to get a meal. The Salvation Army, many churches, soup kitchens, missions, etc. Chances are the ones who panhandle fit one or the other of those 2 scenarios.

Honored Contributor

@Kalli 

In the ancient past more than I care to remember. Now looking back a few decades?  Nothing that causes me to think I need to do things much differently. 

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@Kalli The man in the mirror is not all bad, so do not belittle yourself.  The fact that you gave it a second thought shows character in of itself. 

Respected Contributor

The responsibility of the incident was the decision of the person who was standing at the door.  They are at fault for the person waiting in the car and not allowing them to go in then. 

There were other people who could have done what you feel shame for not doing. Sometimes we rethink a moment over and over again and wish we done something different. That time and moment is gone. 

Valued Contributor

Your feeling guilty is your kindness and goodness. If the line was long behind you, then your letting them in ahead of you also inconveniences all those behind you. So it's not as simple as letting someone go in front of us at the grocery store when we are last in line. Where I live, we have curbside voting. This might be something to suggest to your county if your state allows it. If your state doesn't allow it, you can write to your state legislators asking them to sponsor a bill permitting it.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@Kalli, you are a very thoughful person and you shouldn't beat yourself up. There was an entire line of people who could have given up their place in line as well, but they didn't. Seems to me that the polling place didn't have a plan in place for handicapped or elderly people. It might have been a nice gesture to just let the woman get in line at the front, without anyone having to move to the back of the line. My DH is disabled and is on oxygen, so we decided to request absentee ballots. Based on the lines, that was the right decision for us although it's the first time we haven't gone to our polling place.

It's hard to know what any of us would have done, but thankfully she had someone who could stand in line for her.

Honored Contributor

I have voted every year since I was old enough.  I started in Southern California and never had to stand in a line more than 5 peope long.  I moved to Washington State in 1991 and have been voing by mail ever since.  It just amazes me when I see the long lines people have to stand in to vote in other states.    

Esteemed Contributor

@Kalli there was no need for you to give up your place.  What should have happened is for the disabled person to be let go ahead immediately and vote.  Hard for me to believe no one said that.  The disabled person could have also requested an absentee/mail in ballot in advance instead of going to the polls and waiting in a car.  Something is wrong here.

https://www.npr.org/2020/10/28/928607616/heading-to-the-polls-if-you-have-a-disability-heres-what-to...

Honored Contributor

Bless you for your kindness.  It makes everyone who reads this a little more aware.  Look how many people you've touched.Smiley Happy