Respected Contributor

Re: A regret, and an honest look in the mirror

I don't process things quickly anymore.  I do or don't do things and later think I would have done it differently.  Just forgive yourself and maybe some day you will get another opportunity to do it differently for someone else.  

Honored Contributor

This is one of those "charge it to my head, not my heart" situations.  You just didn't think of it at that moment.  I'm sure you have done so much good at other times, @Kalli.

A couple of weeks ago while putting my groceries in my trunk, I noticed this lady walking around the parking lot.  She finally made her way very close to me.  She on a mask, stayed her distance, dressed kind of on the sloppy side.  She said very politely, "pardon me, madam but could you spare fifty cents?"  I said just a moment til I put these last items in my trunk.  Then I carefully slightly pulled my wallet out only enough to grab a dollar.  She took it and profusely thanked me.  

All day long I wished I had given her the five dollar bill instead of the single dollar which doesn't do much these days.  It wouldn't have hurt me but probably could have really helped her.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

@Kalli I applaud you for your regret and honest look in the mirror. Too many people these days never take an honest look at themselves and their behavior. So you are ahead in that regard.

You will remember that situation and you will have another chance. 

"You call him The Edge, I just call him The"
Honored Contributor

he took his mother's place, wasn't asking for someone to give up theirs, sounds like she was safe in the car

you shouldn't feel guilty

and the polling place should have made accommodations 

Esteemed Contributor

Guilty conscience got you.  It happens to the best of us.  You'll probably have the opportunity to do something kind for someone in the future so let it go.

Honored Contributor

I can understand why you feel this way, but forgive your self, and i bet the son,and mom would forgive you, next time do what your heart tells you.Heart

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Trusted Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie  I never give money to panhandlers. You don't know if they're going to use it for food or for drugs or alcohol. If someone asks for money because they say they're hungry, I'll offer to buy them a meal. If they refuse, I know they only want the money to get high. Also many panhandlers work at this 8 hours a day like a job. They are expert scammers. They put on their crummiest clothes and beg for money and then at the end of their shift, they change, clean up and drive to their nice homes in their late'model cars. They earn quite a bit of money at this,and they also scam the government out of income tax because it's all cash. In giving money to a beggar you are either enabling their substance abuse or supporting a lifestyle that's probably better than yours.

Trusted Contributor

@Kalli : Don't beat yourself up over this. We all have the occaisonal brain fart. I've had a few "What was I thinking" moments too. Next time a similar situation presents itself, you will have the opportunity to make up for it. Maybe not for the same person, but you will help someone else.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Polling place has to take part of the issue.  Should not have happened.  Her situation should have put her first. You are a good person to care but I am not sure you could have done anything other than what you did.  

Honored Contributor

I'm surprised they didn't let the woman go to the front of the line.  I thought most places were doing that.  They should have.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau