Respected Contributor

A regret, and an honest look in the mirror

Yesterday I did something I regret and it made me realize I need to do better.

The line to vote was quite long for my small town.  Most of that time was spent outside in the cold wind.  I wore my winter coat and was comfortable and warm.  So I played on my phone texting and reading news as the line inched toward the building.

After 45 minutes I was almost in the door, someone drove up with a handicapped person.  The man got out, asked if it would be ok if he stood on the line in place of (his mom?) and then when he got to the door, he would walk her in to vote. He was told that was fine. So off he went, to the end of the line, leaving her to wait in her warm car.

It was on the tip of my tongue to offer my spot.  I had nothing to do all day.  It would've been inconvenient and boring to go to the back of the line and wait all over again.  But I could've done it.  And I didn't.  I just stood there as he disappeared around the back of the building to get on the line.

There was a time I'd have offered my place right away.  It would have cost me a little extra time out of my not-busy-at-all day.  SMH.  On the way home I thought of my parents, they'd have offered right away. And they'd have expected the same from me. Just disappointed in myself, I guess. It was a lesson I shouldn't have needed at my age.

Super Contributor

Re: A regret, and an honest look in the mirror

Don't be too hard on yourself, @Kalli .  Sometimes my brain takes a little too long to catch up to a situation and I have felt like I could have done more or handled a situation better.  The fact that you are feeling bad tells me you have a good heart and will be ready the next time to jump in and help!  Life is too short to live with regret, so go easy on yourself!

Respected Contributor

Let me just say this.  My church has a every Wednesday online service for us seniors who don't feel comfortable returning to church yet due to Covid . Today's message was about Forgiveness.  We don't always do the right thing at the right time. So from me to you, I forgive you, God Bless.    

Honored Contributor

Aww, for you to think back and even consider what you could have done differently shows you have a tender heart. I am sure you'll have another opportunity to pay it forward. Thanks for admitting what many would not. That shows character. 

Honored Contributor

@Kalli - I agree with @GenXmuse . You were aware of the situation, and you remembered it later. You will have another opportunity and maybe the upcoming one will be one where you are needed even more. Don't be disappointed in yourself; your parents taught you well. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I'm actually surprised they didn't let the mother come to the head of the line.  We had a lady come up to the line.  She mentioned she had heard that anybody over 70 could go to the front of the line and she was 88.  I actually the night before did hear that on the news, so I told her I did hear that, so she went to the front of the line.  I ended up behind her again in the line to put our ballots in the machine.  She told me that she had come at 7:00 when the polls opened and you couldn't even find a parking place, so it was her 2nd trip to the polls.  We had a long line to get into the building, but it moved quickly and the weather wasn't bad. 

Honored Contributor

You have a conscience, and that's a good thing...........

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@Kalli 

I can tell you have a good heart just from the fact that you are troubled by this, when many wouldn't give it a second thought.  You are probably going to jump up to help the next person you encounter who needs a hand!

When I went for early voting there was a sign saying that handicapped/disabled voters were to come to the front of the line. I saw two or three people do just that during the 25 minutes I was in line. Definitely the right way to handle things.  I'm surprised that those in charge didn't tell that man to just bring his mom in to vote without waiting.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

@Kalli    Please don't beat yourself up.   The fault lies with the polling place that they didn't make arrangements for the handicapped.    

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

When I worked at the polls, we were told that if someone was handicapped, they could either go to the head of the line, or we would go to their car and allow them to vote there.