Esteemed Contributor

Re: A good barometer for going out...

@Porcelain wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@pitdakota wrote:

@Boehm Collector  Until new numbers are released here at 5:00, numbers for Ky are 4,708 cases with 239 deaths.  That is a 5% mortality rate.

So seems like @Porcelain's mortality percentage are pretty on point.  

That mortality rate is greatly distorted.  Your calculation is based only on the number of cases reported which is based on the number tested.  As everyone knows there are many more people who have/had this virus that are not in that count.  There is no way of knowing that ACTUAL number of cases thus the actual mortality rate at this time.  To continue to spread these wildly distorted number is absurd for the self proclaimed board expert.

So you want more testing?

Targeted testing for the virus to identify hot spots makes sense.  Antibody testing for research.  Random testing is just a waste of resources.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

@pitdakota wrote:

@Boehm Collector  Until new numbers are released here at 5:00, numbers for Ky are 4,708 cases with 239 deaths.  That is a 5% mortality rate.

@pitdakota   .. I believe @Porcelain give percentages of 5 - 20%.  They are closer to 5%.... definitely no where near 20%.  

Esteemed Contributor

@pitdakota wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@pitdakota wrote:

That mortality rate is greatly distorted.  Your calculation is based only on the number of cases reported which is based on the number tested.  As everyone knows there are many more people who have/had this virus that are not in that count.  There is no way of knowing that ACTUAL number of cases thus the actual mortality rate at this time.  To continue to spread these wildly distorted number is absurd for the self proclaimed board expert.

@CrazyDaisy  We can only go by the numbers we have.  That's the way it goes. 

The same could be said for determining number of deaths for influenza and mortality ratio for flu.  They estimate those numbers using a statistical formula. 

Same could be said for mortality rates of heart disease.  You can only go by the number of death certificates that record heart disease as the cause of death.

Oh, and by the way....the population numbers that are used to determine mortality rates are not really accurate either because so many people don't complete their census.

So that is the case with everything when looking at percentages, ratios, and rates.  Just the way it is.

But glad to know you realize that the testing was such a failure along the way. 

So why are you posting mortality rates you know are wrong as facts?  

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@Boehm Collector wrote:

@pitdakota wrote:

@pitdakota   .. I believe @Porcelain give percentages of 5 - 20%.  They are closer to 5%.... definitely no where near 20%.  

Sigh. I didn't say 5-20% mortality rate. This is what I said:

"I mean if there were a sign on the door at a coffee shop saying "Enter at your own risk. There's a 5-20% chance you may end up dead, permanently asthmatic, or kill your elderly family members if you come in here and another customer or one of our employees makes a safety mistake. And you'll be on your own and we won't consider ourselves responsible. 50% off croissants. Have a nice day--I would turn right around and go to a sparsesly populated park."

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

@Boehm Collector wrote:

@pitdakota wrote:

@Boehm Collector, I believe she clarified the 20% was the percentage for hospitalization, not mortality.   I don't have numbers for the US, but that would be about on par with what we are seeing in my state as well.

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Where I sit, 5 percent is way too high for comfort. But then I've never been a gambler and am not about to start now.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@MamaWick wrote:

I really don’t care if they open up the hairdressers and the tattoo parlors in my state.  I am staying home until the hospitals permit visitors again.  That is one way that I know the scientists, and not the politicians, are calling the shots! 

Not my original thought (taken from FB).

Great thinking, @MamaWick. I just can't get too excited about getting my hair cut. No way she can stand six feet from me and do it.

Esteemed Contributor

@MamaWick wrote:
And personally, I long to go to a sit down restaurant. We've supported take out in our rural area but I do miss full service.

I miss it too. We got take our last night for the first time since this started. Me oh my, it was so good! 

Honored Contributor

@Boehm Collector 

My reply was to the "enter at your own risk",  and percentages listed along with that statement. It was not how many infected die from the virus, but my percentage of contracting the virus. Those numbers are no where near 25%.  

Most of the info I watch on percentage say: "cases per 100,000 people". From that the numbers are given of the "how many contract the virus", from that number of the 100,000 that contracted it?  That answer is not close to 25%.

That is what I will use to decide my risks, 1st of contracting it, 2nd my risk of dying from it. At my age I want to live my life while I am able, how many years that might be? I really don't care, as long as I am living it.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tansy wrote:

You need to be careful about getting back on the ice rink when it opens up, @hckynut, as a 70 plus male with previous heart issues.

I'm sure your wife and the felines don't want to lose you.  

Thank you for your concern @tansy  My wife understands, who I am, along with the risks I have always chosen to take during our 48 years together. 

Ice skating on a ice surface of 200' X 85' there is a whole lot of separation. Even on the crowded days, which were Sundays, I can choose how close I want to skate to any other skater. Along with that I am usually moving pretty good.

And I have Never skated without gloves on my hands to first keep them warmer, and also to save some of my skin on them when I fall. The other 2 days I was skating, if there were 10 people, that was a crowd. That number on that size ice surface? Lots of room.

I wore a mask for about a year when skating after my 1st episode of PE, so skating with a mask would not be new to me. I will say it makes it a he!! of a lot harder to breathe, especially when working towards my "safe" Max Heart Rate.

I am sure the rink will have their rules that must be followed before they will let anyone in the building, even if they are not going to skate. Now for me it's just "wait and see".

You and yours take good care also,

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)