Honored Contributor

Re: A good barometer for going out...

@millieshops wrote:

@MamaWickThat's a good barometer for me.  I'm not so restless that I just have to get out; I'm already 2 decades retired and hoping not to have to work for pay again in whatever years I have left.

But because I'm in the age range, I have friends in care facilities and not being able to visit or even to hear their voice or see their face for their final weeks is likely to rank among the great sorrows of my life.

The friend I lost to Covid-19 had worked as a Hospice bereavement counselor at one time; she spoke often of the peace that came for patient, family, and even herself from those bedside hours -  I wished that for her, too.  Alas, not.

@millieshops 

I'm so sorry for your friend, having to be alone, and everyone that has had to be sick or passing alone in this time. It just isn't right, but I understand the necessity of the protocols in place right now. 

I had to put my 83 year old mom in an ambulance Thursday, with heart pain, and let her go to the ER by herself. It was truly one of the hardest things I've ever done. She had another A Fib attack but this one had much different symptoms, and seemed more like a heart attack. I was so devastated that she needed to seek treatment right now, and that she had to be alone.

I too cannot wait till the hospitals allow visitors and family in again, but now that you mention it, I wonder if they will use this as a reason to keep people other than patients out of the facilities, even long past what might be necessary, to decrease exposure to other things like infections, flu, and keep their work load down some.

I think we are going to see a lot of changes in health care, business operations and practices, and even retail because of this. I think we have opened the door to some things never going back to the way they were, some for good reason, and some for none but profit or convenience of the business.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

Going out to do what? Sit at a coffee shop with a mask on? Boogie down at a socially distanced night club? Try on clothes? Woman Frustrated All these activities have changed fundamentally. They are fun to do in good times. But with a deadly or debilitating virus as a possible cost of participation, the value proposition is completely changed.

I mean if there were a sign on the door at a coffee shop saying "Enter at your own risk. There's a 5-20% chance you may end up dead, permanently asthmatic, or kill your elderly family members if you come in here and another customer or one of our employees makes a safety mistake. And you'll be on your own and we won't consider ourselves responsible. 50% off croissants. Have a nice day--I would turn right around and go to a sparsesly populated park.

I'm just interested in getting together with certain other people again. And I think the OP's recommendation is a really good one for that.

Much Drama, Stay at home if you are not comfortable, stay safe.  Other may choose to actually live the life given.

I don't see this as drama. I see it as the new reality. Risk is different for everyone based on their health, age, location etc. And different people are comfortable with different levels of risk. 

I miss a lot of things too, but I'm in no hurry to get back to those things, until I feel there is a very low to no risk in doing them. 

The way I see it, we are all going to have to take (and have been taking) some risk. We are going to have to go to some needed appointment, like a dentist or a doctor. We are all going to have to get gas or groceries at some point. We are all going to have some other things we consider essential that probably really aren't (gyms, hair salons, tattoos, restaurant eating etc.). I'm 'picking my battles' as they say in child rearing. I'm only going to take some many risks for the foreseeable future, and go where I need to, but pass on the 'want to' things. I'm good with letting others be the guinea pigs for this and the upcoming early vaccine. My plan is to take a 'wait and see' approach for awhile.

Honored Contributor

I never stopped going out.  I live alone.  Either I go to the store or I don't have it.  Stores and businesses don't deliver out this way.

I can often be found taking things to the post office (I go where there are 0 or 1 or 2 people), the grocery store or to pick up food from my favorite restaurants.

This past week I went to the bird store.  I ordered it ahead of time and pulled up and she put it in my car.

Same thing with the restaurants.  I also went to the CVS to pick up medicine.

I don't have a big social life anyway, so it isn't much different for me.

Out where I live the cars on the road are pretty much the same amount as before.  I don't know where they're going but they are in their cars doing something.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@MominohioEven though we know the why of some things it just doesn't make them easy.  For you having to stay "outside the tent" when mom needed treatment had to add to your fear.  It just doesn't feel natural to us.

And the restrictions aren't limited to scary, sad times -  a neighbor had a grandchild born last week, no one with the new mother.  Son-in-law had to hand his wife off to hospital personel and return home and return to pick her and the baby up when called.  That story thankfully ends well -  baby and mom are fine.

I do think you're right that this experience will create a new normal in all kinds of care facilities. and maybe out.  There was a story in our local paper just this morning about an owner's charge that her HOA refused to allow a nurse to rent her unit because her work brings her in contact with Covid-19 patients.   I do hope we see some follow up on that story!  Really - where do we think our hospital workers, our prison guards, our food providers, etc. should live!  But, yes, that nurse and plenty of others could make me edgy.

Honored Contributor

There will always be risk takers. I learned a long time ago, no matter how much you persuade them to take care of themselves, they simply have any excuse in the book to carry on with their selfish, risky behavior. 

My brother was one of those risk takers thinking he was above it all and he was invincible. He is now in a nursing home and has no idea who I am. Risk takers just think of themselves leaving a trail of hurt for those that love them.

The issue with Covid 19 is that the risk takers can bring the virus home to loved ones so it is no longer just about them. Sigh...

Honored Contributor

I think where there is warm weather,it will be tough getting people to follow the rules. Here in Maine ,we are crowed with tourists normally all summer. With the rules our governor has put in place , i just see so many business going under.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

I think where there is warm weather,it will be tough getting people to follow the rules. Here in Maine ,we are crowed with tourists normally all summer. With the rules our governor has put in place , i just see so many business going under.

@goldensrbest 

I saw your Governor on the news last night. Also saw my States Governor. Difference between night and day of how they are handling things. Will stick with mine.

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

@goldensrbest 

I saw your Governor on the news last night. Also saw my States Governor. Difference between night and day of how they are handling things. Will stick with mine.

hckynut 🏒

She is a good governor, doing things for those that need help ,much better than the one we did have.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@goldensrbest 

Glad you are happy with her. Our Governor is following the guidelines from our Nebraska Medical Center. He has regular electronic consultations with them.

This facility is where the first patients with Ebola/SARS and now, Covid 19 were sent. There has to be a reason those in charge send them here to our city. If there is a gold standard, to me that Center is it.

Hope all works out for you and everyone in Maine.

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)