Honored Contributor

Re: A good barometer for going out...

Since this is a virus with no known cure, I'm not sure why anyone would want to take a risk. However, I know many will. Too many people only care about themselves with no regard for others. 

Esteemed Contributor

Most of us are going to have to make some decisions long before visitors are allowed.  Might be about an in person doctor visit or a scan, but something sort of important.

Respected Contributor

@Boehm Collector  Until new numbers are released here at 5:00, numbers for Ky are 4,708 cases with 239 deaths.  That is a 5% mortality rate.

So seems like @Porcelain's mortality percentage are pretty on point.  

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@pitdakota wrote:

@Boehm Collector  Until new numbers are released here at 5:00, numbers for Ky are 4,708 cases with 239 deaths.  That is a 5% mortality rate.

That mortality rate is greatly distorted.  Your calculation is based only on the number of cases reported which is based on the number tested.  As everyone knows there are many more people who have/had this virus that are not in that count.  There is no way of knowing that ACTUAL number of cases thus the actual mortality rate at this time.  To continue to spread these wildly distorted number is absurd for the self proclaimed board expert.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Is Cuomo the only Governor that is really thinking about his state and doing what is necessary to keep people safe and healthy, and not what some people want.  I commend him, he has a tough job and is making hard decisions.  Government should send out more stimulous checks,  Instead of sending tons of money to big businesses.  What are they doing with the money that some companies returned?

Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@pitdakota wrote:

That mortality rate is greatly distorted.  Your calculation is based only on the number of cases reported which is based on the number tested.  As everyone knows there are many more people who have/had this virus that are not in that count.  There is no way of knowing that ACTUAL number of cases thus the actual mortality rate at this time.  To continue to spread these wildly distorted number is absurd for the self proclaimed board expert.

So you want more testing?

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

I find many people to be selfish and only interested in their own needs.  They refuse to wear masks and keep social distance while outside and they claim their freedom is being taken away.  Your freedom isn't being taken away, you are putting others in jeopardy and taking their freedom away by putting their health and well being in harm's way and NO ONE has the right to do that.

It isn't easy for anyone, it is a frightening situation to say the least.  But sacrificing by listening to experts, not fools and idiots, doing what is recommended to live and not spread this horrific virus should be priority.  We should all be doing this, not some, but ALL.  These aren't numbers or statistics, these are people's lives who have died and are suffering.  It doesn't matter if some places have less cases than others, the virus is killing daily all over and each life counts.

It is your choice but common sense and compassion for others should be your guide.

Honored Contributor

In my area, 2 ER's have been shut down temporarily because of lack of business.  This same health system also shut down ERs in other cities as well for the same reason.

I don't really know if the others are allowing visitors at this time or not.  The hospitals in my particular city are not overrun.  In fact they've had very few cases at all.

Respected Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@pitdakota wrote:

@CrazyDaisy  We can only go by the numbers we have.  That's the way it goes. 

The same could be said for determining number of deaths for influenza and mortality ratio for flu.  They estimate those numbers using a statistical formula. 

Same could be said for mortality rates of heart disease.  You can only go by the number of death certificates that record heart disease as the cause of death.

Oh, and by the way....the population numbers that are used to determine mortality rates are not really accurate either because so many people don't complete their census.

So that is the case with everything when looking at percentages, ratios, and rates.  Just the way it is.

But glad to know you realize that the testing was such a failure along the way. 

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

Last I heard we have had 316 deaths in my state. I'm sure it probably went up again today. Will be following stay at home guidelines and wearing a mask when I need to go out. I did order a box from QVC.