Honored Contributor

Re: A dilemma - my father's funeral flag

We had my grandfathers flag.  I did not know this until we cleaned out my parents house in 2016.  My grandfather died in 1964.

Someone pointed me to a local attorney who was involved with American Legion I believe. He took the flag from me and said it would be disposed of with other flags during a respectful ceremony.  That was fine with my sister and me.

As for the nursing diploma. I think what the OP suggested was terrific. You could also take a picture of the diploma with your phone and then you'd have the picture and the memory, but not the original item.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Maybe I missed some details on whether you have kids or not, but I'll just tell you my experience.  I had my dad's flag in the triangular wooden display case.  I was in a bad accident where I was not expected to live.  My kids came to the house while I was in the hospital and tried to see what to do with my things.  I later found out that my father's flag was the ONLY thing my son wanted from the house.  I ended up surviving, obviously, and when I visit him, I love seeing the flag displayed on a high shelf in his home.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@hopi wrote:

Give it to Goodwill or donate it to a Church sale.

@hopi   No.

There are plenty of WW 11 colectors, flag collectors , 40's items, etc.

It would be nice to let the memory be shared.

Burning it does not make it any less harmed.

Esteemed Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

@hopi ..............How disrespectful!

Are you kidding. Respectful is not putting it in a waste container of flags and burned.

Esteemed Contributor

The local VFW gladly accepts them. We were advised by town officials that is the proper venue. They will take good care of it
Respected Contributor

If you don't know you ask, you did a good thing @PilatesLover & helped others too. I flinched when I saw 2 flags in cases with ID markers for sale at a resale shop, I tried to walk away but just couldn't leave them behind & when the owner checked me out she said what nice bookcase decor they would make. Anyway, I took them to the VFW to be disposed of properly & donated the cases to them. I don't believe the sellers or resale shop owner meant any disrespect, they simply didn't know.

Respected Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

The Boy Scouts will take care of it too.  My next door neighbors just disposed a an American Flag in their trash and I couldn't stand seeing it laying there.  They claimed they had spilled turpentine or something on it, but to me that's no excuse to dispose of it in such a manner.  I took it to the Boy Scouts. They have a flag disposal ceremony a couple of times a year. 

Good for you, @Icegoddess , for investing the time and effort to do the right thing.

Honored Contributor

@hopi ...............you are so misinformed.  The VFW and other military related places will have a respectful ceremony and it will be disposed of properly and respectfully.  And I will leave it at that.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@PilatesLover - Our local funeral home also will take it Since it is framed, if I were you, I would look into donating it to a museum. I have seen a wall of them in the military section of a small town museum. You could check with a military museum too if you have one you could get to.

You still might have someone in the family who would want it. I saw a situation where the family got rid of a small desk they thought no one wanted. They didn't check with everyone in their family. It meant a lot to one of the grandchildren, who really wanted it. But it was gone.

I hope you don't donate it to a second-hand store. Someone you loved held that folded flag on her lap. 

I have two of them. Good luck with whatever you decide. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PilatesLover Why would  you want to dispose of it to begin with?   I still have the flag from my Dad's funeral over 25 years ago.  It is proudly displayed in a flag case on a bookshelf.