Honored Contributor

Re: A car fell off a ferry in the Miami area

Nobody ever thinks something as horrific as this will happen to them.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Warrior2022 wrote:

@SandySparkles wrote:

@Mindy D  I was shocked when I read this thread, and even more shocked, and SADDENED when I read the post! I am sending a prayer of solace to their loved ones, and anyone else affected by this very tragic loss, as they struggle to process it. My mother and I have been estranged lately, and although she KNOWS how much I LOVE her, I feel an overwhelming need to call her and tell her so today!

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Please do call your mother.  I would love to be able to call mine.  Best wishes for a successful reunion.

@Warrior2022  I did, and although she was her usual cantankerous self, it just did not matter today. In fact, it seems rather insignificant when I think of the grief the families of the two women are experiencing. She had a lot to say, so I just let her vent, and reminded her of just how much I love her, and all the reasons why. Age and illness have not been kind to her and that is a big part of it, so I try to show her as much love and compassion as I can. Thank you for your well wishes.😊

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Reports now are saying that they put chocks in front of the tires of the vehicle and they believe the driver may have not put her car in park and accidentally hit the gas, driving up and over the chocks.  

I didn't think a wave knocked the car off the ferry.  That wouldn't make sense that they would continue to transport back and forth on that ferry if it was that dangerous and a wave could knock a vehicle off.  It was also reported that nothing like this has ever happened before.        

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

OMGosh is that a picture right after the car went over?!  I can see a 'flattened' barrier (of sorts) and it appears a car is missing from the front of the line.  How awful for those two women!  Were emergency responses even attempted?  And how awful for other passengers to watch that happen.  I would've been terrified sitting in my car especially after I saw that happen.

@Lucky Charm, I'm not sure what you mean by emergency responses but of course they had divers in the water looking for the vehicle.  As I stated in my thread above, I happened to be watching this unfold on a live feed.  The entire area was covered in police boats.  

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Lucky Charm wrote:

OMGosh is that a picture right after the car went over?!  I can see a 'flattened' barrier (of sorts) and it appears a car is missing from the front of the line.  How awful for those two women!  Were emergency responses even attempted?  And how awful for other passengers to watch that happen.  I would've been terrified sitting in my car especially after I saw that happen.

@Lucky Charm, I'm not sure what you mean by emergency responses but of course they had divers in the water looking for the vehicle.  As I stated in my thread above, I happened to be watching this unfold on a live feed.  The entire area was covered in police boats.  

@Lipstickdiva So, then the foamy water we see is where the car sank down?  How tragic!  I didn't know if the ferry operators do anything in that event.  I know they sell instruments that can break a cars window even when submerged.  Maybe they should pass them out as vehicles pull on to the ferry and then they get returned as they exit.  Could have saved these two ladies lives.

Honored Contributor

Don't quote me but I heard one report that mentioned alcohol may have been a factor. The report said something about one of the women being someone who was known to indulge.

Esteemed Contributor

News reports mentioned that the Mercedes was  "new car"; I wonder if the gal driving wasn't completely familiar with the car (if she hit accelerate instead of brake).

Valued Contributor

@SandySparkles wrote:

@Warrior2022 wrote:

@SandySparkles wrote:

@Mindy D  I was shocked when I read this thread, and even more shocked, and SADDENED when I read the post! I am sending a prayer of solace to their loved ones, and anyone else affected by this very tragic loss, as they struggle to process it. My mother and I have been estranged lately, and although she KNOWS how much I LOVE her, I feel an overwhelming need to call her and tell her so today!

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Please do call your mother.  I would love to be able to call mine.  Best wishes for a successful reunion.

@Warrior2022  I did, and although she was her usual cantankerous self, it just did not matter today. In fact, it seems rather insignificant when I think of the grief the families of the two women are experiencing. 😁  She had a lot to say, so I just let her vent, and reminded her of just how much I love her, and all the reasons why. Age and illness have not been kind to her and that is a big part of it, so I try to show her as much love and compassion as I can. Thank you for your well wishes.😊

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

I am sorry you did not get the outcome you deserved.  I can relate.  Hugs to you.

Honored Contributor

@patbz wrote:

News reports mentioned that the Mercedes was  "new car"; I wonder if the gal driving wasn't completely familiar with the car (if she hit accelerate instead of brake).

......because the accelerator is in a different location w/ new cars?

iDontThinkSo

We'll probably never will know exactly what happened.

Esteemed Contributor

They should not allow passengers to be in the loaded cars.  Also, they should have staff check that the cars are in park with the brake on.  How tragic for these women.  I heard they were found huddled together in the back seat.