Trusted Contributor

I totally understand how you are feeling.   The first year is exceptionally hard, especially on important days in your life.  I lost my mom in 2011 and I still miss her and think about her often.  It took me a couple of years, but now when I think of her I tend to smile instead of get sad.  I can't count how many times I cried the first year when I thought of her.  Now I think of how lucky I am to have had so many years with her and to have been able to have such a loving relationship with her and the thoughts bring me peace rather than sadness.  I hope that you can find that peace at some point too @Jordan2 .

Esteemed Contributor

Sending lots of  {{{{{hugs}}}}}} your way   <3

Super Contributor

I'm so sorry for your loss.   I understand exactly how you feel.  My mother (and grandmother)  always gave me a birthday card with money, too.   Holidays and birthdays just aren't the same now.    I lost my mother 10 years ago in February.  I sobbed every single day for a year and a half after she passed.  She was the one person in the world that was always on my side.  She loved my sisters and me more than anyone else in the world.  She was always there to support us in anything we chose to do.  She always listened without judgment and comforted me when I needed it.    When life gets hard I still cry for her sometimes.    I thank God that He chose her to be my mother.  I am blessed to have had her love and support in my life and am thankful for the time that I did have with her here on this earth.  It will get easier but you will always miss the love of your mother. May The Lord comfort you and give you peace today.   

Contributor

The first year of losing a mother is the hardest especailly when special events ( as birthdays and holiday) roll around........I miss my mom every day.......Its okey to feel sad...

Valued Contributor

I miss my parents every single day - but those firsts are always the hardest without them physically being here.  I loved going to the mailbox and on my birthday would be a special card from my parents, then my dad and now none.  It will never feel the same, however I know how much they loved me and I was very lucky.  Take care today and I will say a special thought for you today.  hugs.  

Respected Contributor

Your mom sounds like a very special mom. It's very hard to lose a mother, along with all of her love! Know that she is always with you, and that as your mother she would rather it be the way it is, than the opposite way. She tried to prepare you, for every moment of your life, by showing you her unconditional, undying love for you everyday!  Cherish those memories, and the love you shared. Don't be afraid to grieve for her for as long as it may take. 

Respected Contributor

@Jordan2  I'm so sorry for your loss! My mom's been gone for 11 years, and still the days I miss her most are on her birthday and mine. We would always call each other on those days, even if we didn't "celebrate" until another day. She always sent me the most beautiful cards, too!

Honored Contributor

Thank you to everyone for the kind words and wishes, they made me cry! Even though we have never met, I feel like I know a lot of you, I always feel this is a safe place to say what I need to.

Respected Contributor

Your mom is still with you on your birthday. She tucked a treasure into an invisible, but almost undeniably there, celebratory envelope for you.  It's called memories.  They're a gift that will never leave you.   

She sounds like a very special mom who raised an equally special daughter. Thanks for sharing your feelings with us, as many of us have been there, too.  

We get you AND your feelings.  Grieving takes time, but eventually the tears will evolve into warm smiles, when thinking of your mom.

Before the day is over, do something nice for yourself.  Even if it's just a long, hot bath, then settling in for a favorite movie. Something to comfort self.   

Respected Contributor

My mother has been gone almost 13 years and I miss her every day.  I understand how you feel.  Take care.