Valued Contributor

My aunt did something similar when she retired at 62.  Her employer fired her unexpectedly, presumably to avoid paying her the pension she'd earned after working for the company for decades.  She got a lovely little apartment in a subsidized senior complex and bought new furniture for the move to fit the tiny apartment with a galley kitchen, a bedroom, and a living area.  Those were probably the happiest 17 years of her life.  She met many friends there and had a lot of fun.  She hosted the family on Easter in the complex's community room.  I hope your retirement (and mine when it comes) is as happy as hers.

Honored Contributor

Just keep in mind that youll have to pay movers to move all the things you buy.  When I retired, I got rid of my older furniture, big things like a china cabinet and large sofa, heavy bedroom furniture and bought new after I bought a new house and determined what pieces were appropriate.  My bill for moving was considerably less than than the estimate, which included the heavy pieces.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Just keep in mind that youll have to pay movers to move all the things you buy.  When I retired, I got rid of my older furniture, big things like a china cabinet and large sofa, heavy bedroom furniture and bought new after I bought a new house and determined what pieces were appropriate.  My bill for moving was considerably less than than the estimate, which included the heavy pieces.

@Kachina624 Exactly what I was going to say. Purge what you don't want to keep but it makes more sense to replenish once you've moved, rather than pay to move it.

Honored Contributor

This just sounds like an excuse to buy all new stuff - if I want or need new stuff I buy it  - I don't have to invent an excuse. We did chose not to move some of our old things when we came to Florida so we got rid of things like our LR suite and our 66 year old bedroom set and replaced them when we got here. We were still using the dishes DH had before we got married in 1983 so we got rid of them and bought new ones.A few pieces of furniture we brought with us didn't fit here so we had to trash them.

Respected Contributor

@151949I don't need an excuse to buy new things. I was a single mom, am in my 2nd career, and am totally independent. I'm a planner with goals about my future and future lifestyle. I've been searching for the kind of city, climate, activities I'm interested in, and condo types for months. I guess I could retire earlier but I want my pension, savings plans, and equity to continue to grow while I'm preparing in other ways. At this point, I feel as though I have options. My mom passed away last summer at 88. I replenished her home a few times over the years with a new bed, dining tables, linens, etc. Some of her friends weren't so foturnate, and that stays in the back of my mind. Also having been a buyer and product developer of home decorative accessories has an impact. I'll take other posters' advice and will bring my adjustable bed, reclining sofa, and only a few other important pieces of furniture. I'm looking forward to my new beginning with time to write more books, to visit friends and family, to travel, to meet new people, and learn new ideas. I will continue to enjoy filling my retirement hope chest.

Esteemed Contributor

Good for you for thinking ahead! I went through a divorce when I was 55 (not my idea) and was forced to downsize my big home and way too many things in order to move to a town home. It was hard at the time, but it forced me to evaluate all of the "stuff" I had accumulated over the years and I found that it just wasn't all that important. There's nothing wrong with donating or selling the old dinnerware, collections and furniture and starting over. Keep the few things that are important to you, but it's refreshing to find out that downsizing and living with less isn't a bad thing!

Honored Contributor

@Desert Lily

good idea & advice!  Sadly, I "downsized" when I moved from NJ. I used a small POD - the guy delivered it at 8:45 am I unpacked it by 9:30!!!  I told him wait this won't take me long.

I wish I had brought a few things I sold but the moving costs (traditional long distance movers) was outrageous.  

Now in the past 5 years I've rebuilt my "stash" & believe me if I pass away today -- for sure my stuff will not fit in a small POD container!!!! But, it's totally organized/labeled and ready to go!!!!

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

This just sounds like an excuse to buy all new stuff - if I want or need new stuff I buy it  - I don't have to invent an excuse. We did chose not to move some of our old things when we came to Florida so we got rid of things like our LR suite and our 66 year old bedroom set and replaced them when we got here. We were still using the dishes DH had before we got married in 1983 so we got rid of them and bought new ones.A few pieces of furniture we brought with us didn't fit here so we had to trash them.

Ridiculous statement @151949.  Some people just aren't attach to their things & honestly, when one retires that's the time to enjoy what you've worked your entire life for & one doesn't need to make "excuses" to buy new! At least, I didn't - I want it I buy it!!!

Respected Contributor

great!

planning is the key to less stress life changes.   allows you to enjoy the transitions.

i have my retirement home bought and have totally furnished it.   I will not be living there for a few years.   right now its a nice get away.  

i am a planner.   hate rushing and last minute self imposed drama due to no planning.

way back, by the time i left home at 18, i had accumulated everything to furnish small apartment.   always the planner.    

life throws us enough curves in the road.   having to modify plans is less stressful than waiting until the last minute for everything.   

~~who/what is responsible for your joy? YOU!~~
Honored Contributor

Three years is a long time to save new stuff. 

You're using incomplete sets of dishes and flatware but have new stuff packed away in the boxes, why?

I used to save stuff for special occasions and then realized the every day stuff was chipped or missing pieces.  

I took all the stuff I had been saving and started to use it.  When it was given to me or when I bought it, it was meant to be used and enjoyed - not packed away in boxes or cabinets or drawers.

Life's too short to save stuff.