Esteemed Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

Three years is a long time to save new stuff. 

You're using incomplete sets of dishes and flatware but have new stuff packed away in the boxes, why?

I used to save stuff for special occasions and then realized the every day stuff was chipped or missing pieces.  

I took all the stuff I had been saving and started to use it.  When it was given to me or when I bought it, it was meant to be used and enjoyed - not packed away in boxes or cabinets or drawers.

Life's too short to save stuff.

Those were my thoughts too.

I'm all for planning for retirement, but I'm also a firm believer in using nice things now.  

Honored Contributor

I strongly believed in a hope chest for myself back in the day, and did one (of sorts) for my son who just moved out on his own at 21. 

And I love the idea of yours!

Not everyone retires comfortably, and taking stock of what one has a few years beforehand, can allow planning and prevent financial hardships afterwards.

It is amazing when one starts to go through their things, they think have a lot of any given thing. Then, upon closer inspection, it is easy to see that a lot of the things are incomplete, worn out and needing replaced. It's best to come to that realization while still working.

My husband and I have believed this about the bigger things as well. We always thought is was wise to get the house paid for, and everything done (does it need windows, or a new roof or paint etc), a newer model car, and everything in good repair before retirement. 

For some people it is a big adjustment, and they find themselves not only living on less money, but also having larger bills in things like medical insurance/medical costs etc. 

Have fun with your process!

Respected Contributor

As a single mom, I gave up a career I loved so I would not be traveling. I went back to school for a second masters degree and switched jobs. I never had the same passion for this 2nd career, but I did it out of love or my child. I changed my work schedule, have more flexibility in hours and where I work (sometimes at home), and spent a great deal of time with my child. I believe it was a factor in my child's success. I've mentioned before that my child is working on a doctorate at an ivy league school and is very happy. I miss my child desperately on the opposite coast but would never have changed my decisions that I'm very glad I made. I'm the only sibling who lived on the west coast near my parents and as they aged, helped them. I visited my mother on a regular basis and bought all of her clothes, most of her groceries, some furnishings, cleaned her home, etc. to give her a better quality of life. The next stage of my life will be more for me. I always told my child to never stop focusing and working toward the goal. I will continue to focus on my goal, plan my retirement, and fill my "hope chest."  Assumptions are often misguided.

Respected Contributor

Re: A Retirement Hope Chest

[ Edited ]

@Desert Lily

How fun! We knew we would take early retirement at 55, so we planned our new year-round house here at the lake, where we'd had a weekend cottage for years, and hired the people to build it. Took two years to complete. In the meantime, we had a great time gathering the furnishings and accessories, the fabrics (for window seat cushions and the like), finding an upholsterer, etc. On some days after work when I wasn't on the road, I often wandered through an antiques mall, looking for things to add character to the new house. It was a very happy time, so I can relate to what you are doing.

One caveat:  Just to be careful about moving out of state immediately after retirement. We've had a number of friends who retired out of state only to move back after a couple of years. Be sure you know how it really feels to live in an area before you move there. 

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Just keep in mind that youll have to pay movers to move all the things you buy.  When I retired, I got rid of my older furniture, big things like a china cabinet and large sofa, heavy bedroom furniture and bought new after I bought a new house and determined what pieces were appropriate.  My bill for moving was considerably less than than the estimate, which included the heavy pieces.

@Desert Lily @Kachina624  These are wise words.  It is very expensive to move and the colors you have in your new digs may be very different.  I'd maybe start a savings account for a lot of the things and fly light when you retire! 

In the meantime, why not start a file of clippings of things you see in magazines that you think you might like?  Dream about colors and styles and things you'd like to have.  You might be surprised how much fun that would be and how when the time comes it might help you make a decision about a new place far easier because you would have a clear picture of what you like and don't like. 

In any case, have fun, dream and anticipate a bright future!  You've earned it!

Respected Contributor

Never prepared but 1 we paid house off 3 yrs before retirement. Love my rancher house no steps also live in az. no snow. got new washer/dryer 13yrs old & fridge too. got new roof with the leaking wow last 3yrs before rertirement we got things done.is this going to last don't know but think we got it maybe at least 10-13yrs. Is their a right or wrong answer thinking we can get retirement so we can save money? I don't know. We tried to get all done but who knows. There is going to be a problem somewhere or the kids need our help who knows.