Trusted Contributor

A Quick Medicare & SS Question

I am in the process of applying for Medicare & SS. I had my initial call and set my phone appointment for June 12th. 

I met with an agent to pick my supplement and drug plan as I am going with traditional Medicare. I made my decision on the supplemnts and the agent informed me he needs my Medicare number to get me signed up for both. 

I called SS to see if I can get the Medicare number. I was told until I have my phone appointment I cannot get a number. It will take 60 days after the phone call. 

The person I spoke to last night said I can apply online. I am techinically challeneged and that is why I had opted for the call. 

Has anyone here applied online and was it a good experience not to difficult? I would like to give it a try tomorrow. 

TIA  

Occasional Contributor

Re: A Quick Medicare & SS Question

First of all the worst part of retiring is trying to figure out the Medcare plans.  Bravo for you for figuring it out - I too went with the traditional plan - As to applying on line - I did it - i think it took me 10? minutes or so but I've worked in offices with technology for 50 years and I find it easier than a phone call.  If you are having issues, I recommend doing the call to SS/Medicare and they can help you do it on line or if you prefer apply via the phone.  It's whatever you feel comfortable with.  I found the SS group to be most helpful, pleasant and patient when I did have to call them.  Best wishes to you.  

Trusted Contributor

Thank you @fmfg   I appreciate the information.  My last day of my employer coverage is June 30th. I will give it a go online. 

It is my fault as I did not ask the right questions during my initial call. I did not know I would need a Medicare number to apply for the supplements. And I agree so far my interactions with SS have been very good. Very professional. 

Honored Contributor

@lenapecci ...............Just in case you did not know your local senior citizens center has people that can help.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

My husband filled out the requirements online.  Took him all of 10-15 minutes. Very easy he said. No problems.  After he filled them out and submitted, within a few days he recieved a phone call back from SS.  

Respected Contributor

@lenapecci  You've got this!  You can do it!  Believe in yourself!  

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Esteemed Contributor

It's easy to apply online. Maybe 15 minutes. I'm tech savvy so I do everything online. I rarely want to deal with people.

Trusted Contributor

Thank you everyone so much for the advice and encouragement!
I will give a go first thing tomorrow morning. I appreciate you all!!
Esteemed Contributor

@lenapecci wrote:

Thank you @fmfg   I appreciate the information.  My last day of my employer coverage is June 30th. I will give it a go online. 

It is my fault as I did not ask the right questions during my initial call. I did not know I would need a Medicare number to apply for the supplements. And I agree so far my interactions with SS have been very good. Very professional. 

I just finished the process.  I don't think it took that long to get your medicare number.  The supplement can be put in place within a day or two.  You can always pay for COBRA for a month if things get bogged down. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

Hi, last year, I signed up for my Medicare and Supplement Plan all on-line without an agent involved. Maybe you have a trusted person who can help you. I have not signed-up for Social Security yet but I know I can do it on the Social Security Website. Please be careful giving out your numbers. Once you sign-up for Medicare, you will receive a Medicare Card with your number on it. You should also be able to look at your Medicare number on the Medicare Website. Good luck, you can do this.