Respected Contributor

Re: A Question For Noel Seven

@CharleyHorse wrote:
Noel, sorry you're having so much trouble with McAfee. I asked because I've been having trouble with my computer the last few weeks and thought I might have a virus and need a better virus protection.

Maryebrown I have malware bytes and every night I run a scan and it says I have a PUP. I quarantine it, but it comes back every day. Also I get thrown off this site a lot and have to start all over again. When I play any games, after a game or two it just hangs/spins and I constantly have to restart. It's driving me crazy. CH

You need to have an real-time anti-virus program running. If you don't have the premium Malwarebytes, then it only scans and removes malware. It's not real-time. 

I use the free version of AVG and haven't had any issues. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CharleyHorse wrote:
Noel, sorry you're having so much trouble with McAfee. I asked because I've been having trouble with my computer the last few weeks and thought I might have a virus and need a better virus protection.

Maryebrown I have malware bytes and every night I run a scan and it says I have a PUP. I quarantine it, but it comes back every day. Also I get thrown off this site a lot and have to start all over again. When I play any games, after a game or two it just hangs/spins and I constantly have to restart. It's driving me crazy. CH

@CharleyHorse I just went through this.  PUP is malware associated with Ask.com.  It comes as an add-on in free software like Adobe.  Adobe updates can come as pop-ups on your computer reminding you to update.  Do not use that pop-up for an update or it could infect your computer with this virus from Ask.com.  I spent the entire day yesterday trying to rid my computer of it.  

This article details how to get rid of it.  http://malwarefixes.com/threats/pup-optional-ask-a/

Honored Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

Hi CH!

I only have a minute, I have something in the oven, but what timing you have!

I had the worst trouble getting rid of McAffee.  Horrible.  I kept thinking it was gone, and then it was back.  DD came over and took it all down, it came back.  So she researched it and found out you have to DOWNLOAD something from their site just to UNinstall.  She worked on that all afternoon last weekend. 

Two days later, I got a notice that McAffee was installing something new on my desktop, OMG!

It turns out, DH's laptop had had MA, but he'd let it run out and thought it wasn't there anymore.

It's like an evil thing you can't get rid of.

I asked DD to look into the free virus protection, but she's been really busy.  I can buy what I need, but I don't remember the one people suggested.

Can you recommend something?  This has been a nightmare.

Thanks for asking, how timely that was Smiley Happy  I'll be back later to check.

I had exactly the same experience with McAfee this weekend.  It allowed a huge amount of malicious software into my computer.  I have always  hated McAfee but it came with the Dell desktop I bought directly from Dell.  I think Dell owns it or it owns Dell now.  I finally got to the point where I could not only not open anything on the Internet, but also my local programs, and then finally, a total shutdown.  I couldn't even get into anything when I hard booted the computer and got myself into Safe Mode.

Prior to that I had gone online and decided on Kaspersky, the top of the line version.  Then I tried to delete McAfee. and Noelseven is correct, all H broke loose.  One needs to download a specific file that does not come packaged with the program.  I wound up calling Microsoft to fix this problem for me.  After all day Saturday, and several hours this morning, we finally got McAfee off and Kaspersky installed.  My computer is running smoothly and fast as a bunny now.

I immediately used ClickFree to back my system up, so if McAfee raises its ugly head again, I have a full, perfect backup at the ready.

It should not be allowed that any program, especially a supposed virus program, cannot be uninstalled by an end user.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986