Regular Contributor

A Question For California Posters

I was reading a description for an Irish sweater, a228594, and it says cannot ship to California. Can anyone explain why they can't? Just curious. CH
Honored Contributor

Re: A Question For California Posters

California has strict rules on what may be mailed into the state. I only came across that once when I ordered a piece from Fenton. I called Q about it and they said it had something in the opalescence or other part of the vase that wasn't approved in CA.

I really wanted it and was never going to drink out of it, so I ordered and had it shipped to a friend in another state who then had it shipped to me.

But I can't imagine what would be in a sweater. Something in the dye?

Maybe you could call and ask about it.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Regular Contributor

Thanks for your response Noel. I couldn't think of reason for a sweater either. I don't live in California so it's not an issue, but I just found it odd. I wasn't going to order it anyway. I read your corned beef and cabbage turned out well. DH always does his in the pressure cooker and the family said it turned out great too. I hope you had a great St. Patrick's Day and I hope you are having a great spring. CH
Valued Contributor

After doing a brief online search, I found that green and blue dyes used in textile manufacture can contain heavy metals, such as lead, arsenic and chromium.

From google -- Commonly encountered heavy metals are chromium, cobalt, nickel, copper, zinc, arsenic, selenium, silver, cadmium, antimony, mercury, thallium and lead.

As most people know, California has very strict laws about shipping anything into the state that may contain heavy metals.

Wikipedia:

Proposition 65 is administered by Cal/EPA's California Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment (OEHHA).Proposition 65 regulates substances officially listed by California as having a 1 in 100,000 chance of causing cancer or birth defects or other reproductive harm in two ways. The first statutory requirement of Proposition 65 prohibits businesses from knowingly discharging listed substances into drinking water sources, or onto land where the substances can pass into drinking water sources. The second prohibits businesses from knowingly exposing individuals to listed substances without providing a clear and reasonable warning.

If you wish to have the entire list of banned substances, enter "Proposition 65 List of Chemicals" into a google search.

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. -- Oscar Wilde
Regular Contributor

Thank you so much SuiGeneris! I had no idea about the dyes. That makes me wish all states were that careful about their residents. Thanks again for going through the trouble of looking that up. CH
Valued Contributor

On 3/20/2015 CharleyHorse said: Thank you so much SuiGeneris! I had no idea about the dyes. That makes me wish all states were that careful about their residents. Thanks again for going through the trouble of looking that up. CH

You're welcome!

I enjoy research.

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. -- Oscar Wilde
Honored Contributor

On 3/20/2015 CharleyHorse said: Thanks for your response Noel. I couldn't think of reason for a sweater either. I don't live in California so it's not an issue, but I just found it odd. I wasn't going to order it anyway. I read your corned beef and cabbage turned out well. DH always does his in the pressure cooker and the family said it turned out great too. I hope you had a great St. Patrick's Day and I hope you are having a great spring. CH

Hi CH -

I've never heard about it being done in a pressure cooker before, that sounds like such a good idea, especially time saving!

We had a wonderful St. Patrick's Day, and it sounds like you did, also. I am so looking forward to Spring, I hope it's enjoyable for you both, too Smile

Honored Contributor

On 3/20/2015 SuiGeneris said:

After doing a brief online search, I found that green and blue dyes used in textile manufacture can contain heavy metals, such as lead, arsenic and chromium.

From google -- Commonly encountered heavy metals are chromium, cobalt, nickel, copper, zinc, arsenic, selenium, silver, cadmium, antimony, mercury, thallium and lead.

As most people know, California has very strict laws about shipping anything into the state that may contain heavy metals.

Wikipedia:

Proposition 65 is administered by Cal/EPA's California Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment (OEHHA).Proposition 65 regulates substances officially listed by California as having a 1 in 100,000 chance of causing cancer or birth defects or other reproductive harm in two ways. The first statutory requirement of Proposition 65 prohibits businesses from knowingly discharging listed substances into drinking water sources, or onto land where the substances can pass into drinking water sources. The second prohibits businesses from knowingly exposing individuals to listed substances without providing a clear and reasonable warning.

If you wish to have the entire list of banned substances, enter "Proposition 65 List of Chemicals" into a google search.

Great research, Sui!

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Honored Contributor

On 3/20/2015 NoelSeven said:

California has strict rules on what may be mailed into the state. I only came across that once when I ordered a piece from Fenton. I called Q about it and they said it had something in the opalescence or other part of the vase that wasn't approved in CA.

I really wanted it and was never going to drink out of it, so I ordered and had it shipped to a friend in another state who then had it shipped to me.

But I can't imagine what would be in a sweater. Something in the dye?

Maybe you could call and ask about it.

Noel there are lead and such in dyes, especially organic dyes as you mentioned in your research. I have heard that there can also be a chemical banned by California in the treatment of the raw wool. I heard this a few years ago. But I am having a hard time finding the right wording in the search engine to research it. Everything I put in says, "BUY wool sweaters, etc from Ireland" lol!

The prop 65 law is a curious law. I agree and support it, but it does have it's challenges. TJMAXX has signs all over about prop 65, and they have sold lead crystal, but they warn you of it. So why don't they ban them from selling it?

I didn't realize how many products are reformulated for CA, but sold in original potency in other states.

Liquid Gold was one. You could purchase spray in the store, but not the liquid can of it. I called company, they said they were based in Nevada, but could not sell that formulation to California. Many cleaning products are banned in CA, we just don't know about it, because we don't see it. Kind of scary they feel it is okay to sell to other states

Respected Contributor

That's interesting about the dyes, I also believe one of Valerie Parhill mercury lamps can't be shipped to California.