Honored Contributor

Re: A Question For California Posters

it could also be because of the zipper or the zipper pull that is featured on the sweater.

in california you see the prop65 warnings EVERYWHERE.....shops, restaurants, laundry rooms, pools, car washes, gas stations, convenience stores, salons. the signs are all over the place.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

That's why I have to laugh when people freak out when they get a Prop. 65 notice in their QVC package. In California, you can't go five feet without seeing one of those signs. I barely even notice them anymore.
Honored Contributor

On 3/21/2015 Plaid Pants said: That's why I have to laugh when people freak out when they get a Prop. 65 notice in their QVC package. In California, you can't go five feet without seeing one of those signs. I barely even notice them anymore.

plaid pants, exactly......it is now overkill!

when i am there and i want to buy something online that wont ship to california then i have it shipped to maryland so that i can just take them back with me.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

I guess it's good I never wanted to order one. Some are pretty, but so heavy they could be used as a winter coat here.

Valued Contributor

I hope this isn't "off topic," but I saw a news story on my local news about several inexpensive wines being sold in the U.S. with "illegal and dangerously high levels of poisonous arsenic, according to a class-action lawsuit filed March 19 in California Superior Court." [quoted section from article in LAWeekly -- http://www.laweekly.com/restaurants/hold-the-franzia-and-two-buck-chuck-your-cheap-wine-may-be-fill...]

However, the doctor who analyzed the results compared the ppb (parts per billion) of arsenic in the wine to acceptable ppb in our drinking water. He said he believed [in comparison] that the arsenic levels in the wine should be considered "safe" levels of arsenic; he stated that one would have to drink 20,000 glasses of wine to reach arsenic toxicity.

[For reference purposes: 10 ppb of arsenic in drinking water is considered safe; the wine tested contained up to 50 parts per billion.]

I thought this was interesting in light of this discussion about California's Prop 65.

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. -- Oscar Wilde
Valued Contributor

Also of interest [to me Wink], I found another article about the manufacture of wool items:

http://organicclothing.blogs.com/my_weblog/2005/11/wool_facts_behi.html

Conventional Wool Fabric Manufacturing

As with cotton, the health dangers to the environment and the consumer are only compounded with the conventional production of fabrics and garments from conventionally grown wool. The conventional wool garment manufacturing process typically employs harsh scouring agents and bleaches to clean and whiten the wool, formaldehyde, polyester, foams, dioxins, conditioners, moth-proofing, harsh chemical dyes, and other, often toxic, additives to finish the fabric and garments. Chemical dyes frequently include toxic heavy metals such as chrome, copper and zinc, and sometimes contain known or suspected carcinogens.

For the chemically sensitive and chemically concerned consumer, beware of garments manufactured with new fabric technologies that boast of creating “smart wools” that will not shrink and have high performance capabilities. Many of these “unique and innovative properties” are achieved through a combination of chemicals and manufacturing processes which change the structure of the wool fibers and utilize the latest fabric technologies for processes such as silver backwashing and continuous chlorine oxidization shrink resist systems. The chemically sensitive should be cautious with new wool fiber technologies such as Sportwool™, Woolscience™, Sensory Perception Technology™ and Arcana™.

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. -- Oscar Wilde
Honored Contributor

On 3/21/2015 SuiGeneris said:

Also of interest [to me Wink], I found another article about the manufacture of wool items:

http://organicclothing.blogs.com/my_weblog/2005/11/wool_facts_behi.html

Conventional Wool Fabric Manufacturing

As with cotton, the health dangers to the environment and the consumer are only compounded with the conventional production of fabrics and garments from conventionally grown wool. The conventional wool garment manufacturing process typically employs harsh scouring agents and bleaches to clean and whiten the wool, formaldehyde, polyester, foams, dioxins, conditioners, moth-proofing, harsh chemical dyes, and other, often toxic, additives to finish the fabric and garments. Chemical dyes frequently include toxic heavy metals such as chrome, copper and zinc, and sometimes contain known or suspected carcinogens.

For the chemically sensitive and chemically concerned consumer, beware of garments manufactured with new fabric technologies that boast of creating “smart wools” that will not shrink and have high performance capabilities. Many of these “unique and innovative properties” are achieved through a combination of chemicals and manufacturing processes which change the structure of the wool fibers and utilize the latest fabric technologies for processes such as silver backwashing and continuous chlorine oxidization shrink resist systems. The chemically sensitive should be cautious with new wool fiber technologies such as Sportwool™, Woolscience™, Sensory Perception Technology™ and Arcana™.

Thanks. This what I was talking about in my previous post. There are processes that use toxic chemicals that leave residue on finished garment. This with the dye may be the reason CA does not allow the QVC irish sweaters sent to California