Respected Contributor

I find it so sad that so many people fall for this type of thing.  

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

I don't ever answer a call if I don't recognize the number.  Never.  If it's something legitimate, they'll leave me a message.  I can then pick up while they're leaving the message.

@Krimpette, I didn't answer the call.  They left a message.

Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

I guess after I won all that money yesterday that the FBI is sending me, I ended up on the SPAM Call list.  I just got a call from a lady who said she was the Treasurer with the Northwest Genetical Progress Club and they have accounts with me.  They need to know where to send the checks.  

Now, if I have accounts with them, wouldn't they know where to send the checks?  Also, she's calling from a 904 Area Code.  That's the Jacksonville FL area which is really not northwest of much of anything.

@Icegoddess 

Spammers spoof phone numbers.  

@Nonametoday If she was Spoofing the number, she knew who she was Spoofing because she identified herself with the name of the person that came up on my Caller ID.  

Honored Contributor

@Twoaces wrote:

I beg to differ.  Jacksonville, Florida is northwest of Nigeria, home of several needy princes.  You can share your winnings with them

@Twoaces you got me.  I guess the world IS round.

Honored Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

I don't ever answer a call if I don't recognize the number.  Never.  If it's something legitimate, they'll leave me a message.  I can then pick up while they're leaving the message.

@Krimpette.  Isnt it funny how nobody leaves a message?  In fact, most hang up after the third ring so they don't have to listen to your machine.

@Icegoddess.  This must be your lucky month.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

No disrespect intended toward anybody here, but I kind of see this situation like the 'if everybody wore a mask things would get a lot better a lot sooner'.   

The tie-in is that if EVERYBODY stopped answering these calls they would stop being lucrative and, thereby, go away.   Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I put the button "on" in my settings (iphone) to silence calls that are not in my contact list. Sure helps! No more annoying ringing and no messages, lol!

Regular Contributor

Hi all,

I have an AT&T landline phone.  Not sure where manual is, but would like to turn off ringer.  Is it the button that says MUTE?

Thanks any and all for your help.  Husband is on Medicare and we are being driven crazy by constant ringing.  Even if we don't answer, the racket is very stressful.

Seannie

Honored Contributor

@Seannie wrote:

Hi all,

I have an AT&T landline phone.  Not sure where manual is, but would like to turn off ringer.  Is it the button that says MUTE?

Thanks any and all for your help.  Husband is on Medicare and we are being driven crazy by constant ringing.  Even if we don't answer, the racket is very stressful.

Seannie

@Seannie Mute normally is used when you're using the phone in speaker phone mode so you can have an off-line conversation but the person on the other end can't hear you.  On older phones the ringer off switch was on the back of the phone.  I don't see one on my current phone.