Honored Contributor

A New Millenial Expression (?)

Being with DD and her friends, I've noticed them using the phrase "Don't get into your head too much" a lot. I honestly heard three of her friends use this when talking to someone else in the span of about 15 minutes. They all said the same thing.

Is this a new catch phrase? I guess I should ask DD what it means. I assume it means something like "Don't worry" (?)  If it does, why don't they just say that?! Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

Re: A New Millenial Expression (?)

1)To go into deep thought and self-reflection.
2) To learn what motivates a person or what makes them react.

via urban dictionary
"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I think the baby boomers had a similar phrase and even-"Get out of your head"-right?

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

I think the Eagles said it best "  Don't let the sound of your own wheels

make you crazy "....

Honored Contributor

I like "can't wrap my head around that"  now that is a real visual!!!!I keep picturing something like a Wisconsin cheese head when I hear that.  LOL

Respected Contributor

I noticed instead of saying, have a nice day they say, enjoy the rest of your day. Also, in response to something they will say, perfect.

Esteemed Contributor

And then another one I've been noticing lately is "clapping back". Which as far as I can tell to clap back means to respond back harshly. But not 100% sure about that.

Honored Contributor

I still say “can’t wrap my head around it”.

I’m not around youngsters enough to know what they’re saying but probably wouldn’t understand their lingo. I noticed it more when I was working.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@beach-mom wrote:

Being with DD and her friends, I've noticed them using the phrase "Don't get into your head too much" a lot. I honestly heard three of her friends use this when talking to someone else in the span of about 15 minutes. They all said the same thing.

Is this a new catch phrase? I guess I should ask DD what it means. I assume it means something like "Don't worry" (?)  If it does, why don't they just say that?! Smiley Wink

I've been saying this for 20 years.  For me, it means to not overthink. Sometimes  person can think something to death when it isn't needed.  

For decades, I have also said that (something) is not worth taking up space in my brain.  I just don't like getting upset about petty issues and things I can't control.  

Honored Contributor

@Big Joanie wrote:

I think the Eagles said it best "  Don't let the sound of your own wheels

make you crazy "....

@Big Joanie  Yep.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh