Trusted Contributor

A Friend in Another State May Have CV

He has had some of the symptoms so he called his PCP.  They agreed that based on his symptoms he needs to be tested.  His PCP is in a large city 45 minutes away, and this is how their practice is handling it.  A messenger will leave the test kit on the porch of the house.  Once he administers the test to himself following their directions, he calls them and then a messenger will come to the house and get the kit.  Then they will contact him with the results.  Sounds like a good plan so the medical personnel are kept safe as much as possible but still meeting the needs of patients.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Respected Contributor

Re: A Friend in Another State May Have CV

I hope your friend does well.

I have been told that our local hospitals are canceling non essential surgeries.    patients need to be able to go home after surgery and have someone with them for 24 hours if the surgery is being done.   the hospitals have been told they have to be ready for patients even thought we are a small town.

Honored Contributor

@dismiss Unfortunately I think we are all going to know at least one person, and probably more than that, who has the virus.
Honored Contributor

To the OP so sorry my phone "corrected" your screen name when I typed it.
Respected Contributor

As to canceling surgeries, WaPo in chronicling the plight of several people this morning, reported that a woman's cancer surgery is postponed.  She is very scared as you might imagine.

This is another thing I think is wrong with the panic that has been created.  Not only is the economy significantly threatened - hurting so many many people, but now - due to the hysteria, we have people who actually need medical care being denied in favor of - either lots of people flooding medical centers demanding testing - or even worse - the anticipation of those millions who will be dying who will be needing  immediate treatment and thus all beds must be reserved for them.

Respected Contributor

the mayor of Pittsburgh Pa under an abundance of caution is self quarantining after at trip to Washington D C

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Isobel Archer wrote:

As to canceling surgeries, WaPo in chronicling the plight of several people this morning, reported that a woman's cancer surgery is postponed.  She is very scared as you might imagine.

This is another thing I think is wrong with the panic that has been created.  Not only is the economy significantly threatened - hurting so many many people, but now - due to the hysteria, we have people who actually need medical care being denied in favor of - either lots of people flooding medical centers demanding testing - or even worse - the anticipation of those millions who will be dying who will be needing  immediate treatment and thus all beds must be reserved for them.

We are dealing with a Global Pandemic.  Not Panic, not Hysteria. 

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras