Honored Contributor

A Conviction In The Etan Patz Case

The convenience store clerk who offered Etan a soda was convicted today of his murder.  I hope after all these years that the family can find some peace.   This was a real tragedy.  Etan, who has never been found, disappeared on the first day his parents let him walk alone the two blocks to the bus stop for school, long ago.

"Pedro Hernandez, 56, confessed to police in 2012 that he killed Etan, saying he lured the boy into the basement of his store with soda. Prosecutors said the man choked Etan, stuffed his body in a plastic garbage bag hidden inside a box, and took it out with the trash."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/02/14/convenience-store-clerk-convicted-murdering-6-year-old-etan-pat...

Esteemed Contributor

Re: A Conviction In The Etan Patz Case

Pathetic. I hope the family can find peace as well, I'm afraid I never would if one of my children was murdered. I will never understand people.

Esteemed Contributor

It surely took long enough. 

Too awful that the parents and family could never recover the body to have it properly buried. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Trusted Contributor

SO he confessed in 2012 and was it public then and now he had a trial or something?  Why is it being talked about today and I am glad it is as I did not know about this and glad one murder is of the street. Think of all the murders that were never solved?  SO tragic.  The woman that killed my mother in law I was told changed her name, moved back near the murder scene and I would never recognized her as it was 1977 and I wil never go around where she is as she lives a long way from me.  I have forgiven her but the pain is still so fresh after all these years and I know on the date that is coming up she is will be thinking of the night as so will I...............my former husband is dead it really killed him slowly...........and ruined our life................its not worth killing anyone...............ever.............I am sorry to all that have lost someone to murder or suicide.

Trusted Contributor

Oh I see today he was convicted and it took from 2012 until now? They need court daily as to go ahead and sentence people, and for those that were sentenced and were innocent Dear God that is horrible..............I have been watching about men that are black that served over 20 years in prison innocent.............it is hard to think about and it makes me cry and those poor men how they suffred in prison over lies............I still think about that woman that lied about that 14 year old child that was murdrered in Mississippi.  Shaking my head.  But he is with our Savior.

Honored Contributor

I'm glad for the ruling, I wish it has come sooner.  I think his parents have learned to live with it.  Like with any death of a loved one (my daughter had a child that died) you learn to live with it.  You never get over it, you never move on, you never....... You learn to live with it.

Respected Contributor

Are we really sure it was him just based on a "confession" that was later said forced?  I have read many stories and some people are not so sure he is the one. People not connected to the case in any way.

No body, no DNA..no real witnesses. 

For the family sake I hope they got the right person and for the guys sake I hope they did too.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I remember first hearing about Etan Patz on the old Phil Donahue Show way back when.  The same show also highlighted the case of Johnny Gosch and some other missing children I can't recall right now.  How heartbreaking for these families to go through something so tragic and horrifying.  I'm glad the Patz family finally has closure, something I don't think the Gosch's ever had.  I'm pretty sure the Etan Patz case was also the basis of the movie "Without a Trace" that starred Kate Nelligan and Judd Hirsch, but the movie had a better ending.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@DowntonAbbey wrote:

Oh I see today he was convicted and it took from 2012 until now? They need court daily as to go ahead and sentence people, and for those that were sentenced and were innocent Dear God that is horrible..............I have been watching about men that are black that served over 20 years in prison innocent.............it is hard to think about and it makes me cry and those poor men how they suffred in prison over lies............I still think about that woman that lied about that 14 year old child that was murdrered in Mississippi.  Shaking my head.  But he is with our Savior.

@DowntonAbbey  It explains all that in the link!  There was a previous trial with a hung jury where one juror held out against the 11 who voted for guilty.  That's why it has taken this long since 2012.

Frequent Contributor

I am a NewYorker who followed this case from the very beginning. Read everything I could. Always believed it was housekeeper's friend -taxi driver-  convicted child molester. Civil case found him (Jose Ramos) guilty, later reversed. This jury took 9 days to convict after a hung jury last year. Pedro Hernandez has serious mental illness. Not convinced.