Valued Contributor

Re: 80 Years YOUNG but 8 Years OLD

to me it sounds like the person feels good at 80 and that is quite a feat.  Boy, some of you really rain on others parade.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Of course there are worse things to say, but I too don't like to hear "x years young".  I also don't care to hear "age is just a number".  IMO, your age is your actual age. Regardless of what age you think you look like or feel like, you still are the actual numbered age that you are. You are who you are, stand up and be proud.

Esteemed Contributor

@Biftu wrote:

I always cringe when I hear a woman up in years referred to as 80 years young.  I find it very demeaning.  She is just 80 years old, same as the 8 year old would be referred.  Maybe it's just me, but I find it rude.

@Biftu  Was I correct in assuming that you were referring to other people referring to an 80 year old? If so, I agree that it comes across as patronizing. 

But most of the posters seemed to take it as how a person might refer to herself, and if that's the case then of course we can refer to ourselves however we want.  But I didn't think this is what you meant in your OP.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Respected Contributor

I can't stand the word "elderly." To me when I hear elderly I think of sickly for some reason.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I personally at 76 hate being called "young lady."

In the past when I've been in the hospital for a chronic and ongoing problem, a couple of techs and a doctor called me that. I tell them "Please do not call me that. I'm (whatever age I was) years old. Please just call me by my first name." They always stop. Of course I say it nicely.

Respected Contributor

I think it's silly, too.  I also don't like to be called Miss (my first name).  I find that to be silly, too.  But someone told me that that is common in the southern states.  I live in Missouri, so maybe the people who call me Miss (first name) are from the south.  I always just say, "(First name's) fine.

Super Contributor

I agree on the poster, but I also don't agree with the phrase of   # years of age. 

It should be # years old!

Esteemed Contributor

@Ainhisg wrote:

I think it's silly, too.  I also don't like to be called Miss (my first name).  I find that to be silly, too.  But someone told me that that is common in the southern states.  I live in Missouri, so maybe the people who call me Miss (first name) are from the south.  I always just say, "(First name's) fine.

I don't like being called m'am. Ya.......no!

Honored Contributor

@Ainhisg  I'm in WA state and through my many hospital admits I've had quite few techs, nurses and CNA's call me "Miss First Name' and they weren't from the south. I think in some cases they are just being respectful because I'm an old lady. I find it rather sweet and nice.

Respected Contributor

I have never thought about it. I guess it really doesn't matter to me. I have been called so many horrible names in my life this one doesn't matter to me.