Honored Contributor

Re: 8-12 Days In Transit to Ship Food?

@eddyandme wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

I just checked reviews on the sponge roll on the company website. They’re 60% 4-5 stars and 40% 1-2 stars. All of the bad reviews are for being dry and stale and several people said they just trashed them. Doesn’t make me feel hopeful :-( I suppose the satisfied customers live closest to the facility and the unhappy customers live across the country like I do.  All the preservatives in the world will only do so much. 

I do understand that many items ship quite well, but perishable items not so much. The perishable items I’ve ordered from QVC, with shorter shipping times than this, arrived stale.  The internet tells me that dry ice only lasts 3 days. It might stay slightly cool another day. That’s not close to 8+ days. The internet also says that if an item is shipped frozen or partially frozen it can extend the time; I can only hope for that. Darn it. I just had no idea they’d be so cheap in their shipping of potential gift foodstuffs.

I would just refuse it if you're home when it's delivered.

I wouldn’t do that, because with part of the order I know it will be fine, and I’m not going to claim I was dissatisfied and disappointed and ask for a refund if I haven’t even tasted it; that’s not me.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Moonchilde  I think you ought to wait until the item arrives before making judgments on its condition.  The vendor knows it's products and how to ship it.  We have enough shipping problems without anticipating what could happen.  Get back with us after you've examined it.

I’m not making judgments on its condition until I open and taste it. I’m conjecturing on its possible, even probable, condition based on the shipping circumstances. If the vendor knows their product so well, why are there so many “arrived stale” comments in the reviews for the product? 

I rarely have shipping problems, actually - one reason why this particular mailing stands out to me as having a strong potential for not turning out well.

Esteemed Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

I have ordered tons of food on-line.

I have ordered cheesecakes, cakes, meats, and seafood all on line.

Some arrive with a lot of dry ice, some arrive with no dry ice left.

Regardless of how much dry ice was left, the item was always still cold to the touch.

The food was never spoiled, and always tasted fresh.

Why, I just ordered a prime rib, mac & cheese, and some other food items last night (not from QVC), and I have zero worries about how much dry ice will be left.

@Plaid Pants2, did your items take 10-12 days to arrive? That’s the estimate I was given, not counting when the item was baked. I’ve definitely ordered food which has come in dry ice with no problems, but they have all arrived within 3-5 days. My issue is the 10-12-14 days from baking time to arrival. No dry ice lasts close to that long. If they ship without it, the cake will just be dry; it could hardly not be. There are limits to preservatives.

I once ordered Cheryl’s Cookies from QVC and they took about 6 days from shipped to arrival. They went stale in 2-3 days. The ones I froze were stale upon thawing.

@Moonchilde

I think that the longest an item took to get to me, was an order of meat, and that took about 10 days, and was still rock hard frozen when I got it.

Don't forget, they usually pack the food inside a Styrofoam cooler, (which can be reused!), which also helps to keep the food cold.

I have also received food that came with frozen gel packs, which also can be reused.

So, for me personally, I wouldn't worry.

Honored Contributor

I'm sure it will be fine.  FIGI's is a business and like all businesses, they rely on word or mouth also they've been shipping food for many, many years.  Why are complaining when, so far, you nothing to complain about?  

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

I have ordered tons of food on-line.

I have ordered cheesecakes, cakes, meats, and seafood all on line.

Some arrive with a lot of dry ice, some arrive with no dry ice left.

Regardless of how much dry ice was left, the item was always still cold to the touch.

The food was never spoiled, and always tasted fresh.

Why, I just ordered a prime rib, mac & cheese, and some other food items last night (not from QVC), and I have zero worries about how much dry ice will be left.

@Plaid Pants2, did your items take 10-12 days to arrive? That’s the estimate I was given, not counting when the item was baked. I’ve definitely ordered food which has come in dry ice with no problems, but they have all arrived within 3-5 days. My issue is the 10-12-14 days from baking time to arrival. No dry ice lasts close to that long. If they ship without it, the cake will just be dry; it could hardly not be. There are limits to preservatives.

I once ordered Cheryl’s Cookies from QVC and they took about 6 days from shipped to arrival. They went stale in 2-3 days. The ones I froze were stale upon thawing.

@Moonchilde

I think that the longest an item took to get to me, was an order of meat, and that took about 10 days, and was still rock hard frozen when I got it.

Don't forget, they usually pack the food inside a Styrofoam cooler, (which can be reused!), which also helps to keep the food cold.

I have also received food that came with frozen gel packs, which also can be reused.

So, for me personally, I wouldn't worry.

I keep the styrofoam coolers and the gel pack too.  It's like a gift with purchase...lol   

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I'm sure it will be fine.  FIGI's is a business and like all businesses, they rely on word or mouth also they've been shipping food for many, many years.  Why are complaining when, so far, you nothing to complain about?  

Aren’t you sweet - as always.

I’m complaining about the fact that a company is taking up to two weeks to ship perishable food.

Quite a few customers have stated, on their website that the product arrived inedible.  Bless your heart.