Honored Contributor

Martin Luther King was murdered, why shouldn't we mark this day in history? I feel the same way concerning JFK and RFK as well. Woman Sad

@lolakimono I didn't want your beautiful thread to be sabotaged.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Respected Contributor

Re: 50 Years Ago Today.......

In the grand scheme it was not long ago at all ... yesterday really on the human timeline. He stood for something and one of the results was the loss of his own life. "And still he rises". And there's a darn good reason. we all know it.

Honored Contributor

@skuggles wrote:

In the grand scheme it was not long ago at all ... yesterday really on the human timeline. He stood for something and one of the results was the loss of his own life. "And still he rises". And there's a darn good reason. we all know it.

@skuggles

We all don't know it, or at least I don't know what the darn good reason was that he lost his life.

Respected Contributor

There's no darn good reason he lost his life @Noel7. There's a darn good reason that "still he rises".

Honored Contributor

OK, I also don't get the scheme of time comment.  Humans have been around 200,000 years.  Are we supposed to wait or what?

Honored Contributor

@skuggles wrote:

There's no darn good reason he lost his life @Noel7. There's a darn good reason that "still he rises".

OK, thanks @skuggles .

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

OK, I also don't get the scheme of time comment.  Humans have been around 200,000 years.  Are we supposed to wait or what?

It happened so recently that it is really a "fresh wound" in the hearts of men/women, and yet there are those who wish to bury it in the annals of ancient history, well that's the excuse of some.

Honored Contributor

Dr. King was a valuable part of SF Glide Memorial Church, and today they rang their church bell 50 times in memory of his loss.

Honored Contributor

@skuggles wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

It happened so recently that it is really a "fresh wound" in the hearts of men/women, and yet there are those who wish to bury it in the annals of ancient history, well that's the excuse of some.

That's true @skuggles  You are correct.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think we should mark the day in history. And I think children should learn all about him in school and I thought they were. Till my future daughter in law who teaches 2nd grade told me it wasn't in her lesson plan. So she found copies to run off and give the kids and diverted from the lesson plan.

I really don't understand why nothing about Martin Luther King was in the lesson plans. And I don't like it.