Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

I was in Target the other day and they had all the summer/seasonal things pushed back against the wall and they were setting up the school supply display.  I couldn't believe it.  School starts in my county on August 3rd, which is absurdly early.  Call me old fashioned, but I don't see the buying of school supplies as a 7 week event.  Y

You get the list from the school and go about a week before hand and you're done.  

WOW...school ENDED here in Buffalo TODAY!

Esteemed Contributor
I always associate it with my grands since we usually either visited with them or they with us. And we always had fireworks and homemade ice cream.
Respected Contributor

It probably depends on where you live.  For us, July 4th is the official start of summer.  Schools just got out this week and warm weather has been hit-or-miss so far but it usually warms up around the 4th.  Public pools open up around the 4th, soft ball leagues start, all the good summer stuff kicks in.  Sometimes, Fall starts in late August.  If we are very, very lucky Summer weather hangs around through September.  Although lately, I noticed that even if the weather cools down in September, we all still pretend we're in the middle of summer.  You go to the cookout in crops, sandals and tee shirt.....but you take your fleece jacket with you...lol

Respected Contributor

@cherry wrote:

Remember the feast of John the Baptist is sometime in late July.(25 perhaps) It is the 1/2 point to the winter solstice and the nativity. John said of himself, I must decrease, He(Christ) must increase.

ETA the feast of John the Baptist is the longest day of the year, after this the days begin to shorten.

Actually, the longest day of the years is the Summer Solstice, which was June 21, and yes, days (i.e, daylight hours) are shorter now.   And the Nativity of St. John the Baptist is June 24, not July.

Honored Contributor

thanks I should know that it is the feast day of my parishSmiley Embarassed

@nomless wrote:

@cherry wrote:

Remember the feast of John the Baptist is sometime in late July.(25 perhaps) It is the 1/2 point to the winter solstice and the nativity. John said of himself, I must decrease, He(Christ) must increase.

ETA the feast of John the Baptist is the longest day of the year, after this the days begin to shorten.

Actually, the longest day of the years is the Summer Solstice, which was June 21, and yes, days (i.e, daylight hours) are shorter now.   And the Nativity of St. John the Baptist is June 24, not July.

Esteemed Contributor
I wish it was the halfway point to the end of summer but no such luck for us in Arizona. We have until the middle of October before even cools down a little bit.
Honored Contributor

I feel like summer is flying by.

Respected Contributor

School was over this week here.  4th of July is the beginning of summer fun.

Respected Contributor
I think the end of summer starts when the rose of Sharon bushes bloom but I'm sure target will start with back to school sales right after the 4th
Honored Contributor

It's hot here until November.