Honored Contributor

I will pray for your son and all others who serve our country.  Heroes, all.

Respected Contributor

Re: 4th Deployment

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

I hate the way our military operates with the same people doing all the nasty work and shouldering the burden for our freedom over and over.  It's just not fair!  It needs to be shared by all the citizens of this country.  If there aren't enough volunteers, let's go back to the draft,  and there's no reason why women should be exempt.   Imagine trying to be a good parent while having to interrupt your life repeatedly to go to that hell-hole in the mid-East.  So hard on individuals and families. 

One advantage to the draft would be:  If everyone was eligible to be drafted, there  might be more public pressure to end wars, not prolong wars, carefully consider options before war, etc.

However, from what I've read and heard, the military operates better if the people there want to be there.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Honored Contributor

@Marienkaefer2 wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

I hate the way our military operates with the same people doing all the nasty work and shouldering the burden for our freedom over and over.  It's just not fair!  It needs to be shared by all the citizens of this country.  If there aren't enough volunteers, let's go back to the draft,  and there's no reason why women should be exempt.   Imagine trying to be a good parent while having to interrupt your life repeatedly to go to that hell-hole in the mid-East.  So hard on individuals and families. 

One advantage to the draft would be:  If everyone was eligible to be drafted, there  might be more public pressure to end wars, not prolong wars, carefully consider options before war, etc.

However, from what I've read and heard, the military operates better if the people there want to be there.

It's a lose-lose solution either way, @Marienkaefer2. Right now there is virtually no pressure on TPTB to step back from military interventions as there would be if we had a draft. Also, I think that the military would be more diverse with a draft -- people from all social strata might actually be better and stronger.

OTOH, I would hate to see young people forced into the military. I certainly remember how I feared that my very young husband would be drafted out of college. I can see the purpose of a draft in a World War situation, but it seems that more and more, war has become regional and far away from our senses unless we have loved ones involved.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3

I agree with your view.

My brother is currently a Colonel in the USMC. 

From talking with him, it seems from the leadership perspective anyway, they feel that a volunteer force is preferable.

I think that it's more of a matter of how our military is used.  Have you read any of Andrew Bacevich's books?  He's a retired Army Colonel and his view is along these lines.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero