Trusted Contributor

Re: 43 million dollar wedding

As long as it is not going for an illegal purpose, or hurting someone else, I have no desire to dictate to others how to spend their money.  I also see quite a stimulus to the economy going on as a result of this wedding.  Also, the article indicated that there might be sponsors contributing to the wedding. 

Money is going to florists, bakers, chefs, security guards, limo drivers, seamstresses, wait staff, television crews, the venue owner (hall) and its employees, jewelers, the suppliers of the linens, rugs (which will all need to be cleaned later, etc.  The guests are spending on their own clothes and the women are probably going to the beauty parlors for their hair, makeup and nails.  People are probably coming in from out of town, paying for their travel expenses, hotels, babysitters, etc.  I see money trickling down to working people, which, in my opinion, is a good thing.

(P.S., conversely, I am not a fan of couples going into debt for a wedding: my own was very small.) 

Do the math.
Respected Contributor

@MarieIG wrote:

As long as it is not going for an illegal purpose, or hurting someone else, I have no desire to dictate to others how to spend their money.  I also see quite a stimulus to the economy going on as a result of this wedding.  Also, the article indicated that there might be sponsors contributing to the wedding. 

Money is going to florists, bakers, chefs, security guards, limo drivers, seamstresses, wait staff, television crews, the venue owner (hall) and its employees, jewelers, the suppliers of the linens, rugs (which will all need to be cleaned later, etc.  The guests are spending on their own clothes and the women are probably going to the beauty parlors for their hair, makeup and nails.  People are probably coming in from out of town, paying for their travel expenses, hotels, babysitters, etc.  I see money trickling down to working people, which, in my opinion, is a good thing.

(P.S., conversely, I am not a fan of couples going into debt for a wedding: my own was very small.) 

Good point.  Now, I wonder how much the average Chinese service worker makes in Shanghai where this lavish wedding took place.  I have no idea what the cost of living is there, but a quick Google search revealed the average monthly pay for a waiter was 2500 CNY in 2013.  A CNY today is about 0.157 American.  That works out to about $39.  I'd like to believe that a lot of ordinary working Chinese made some good money as a result of that event.

Trusted Contributor

It is absolutelty no one's business what you spend on a wedding.

I am sorry this topic was ever brought up. It just promotes judgemental people and their unworthy opinions.

Honored Contributor

@MarieIG wrote:

Very well stated !!

I tried to say the same thing in post #24, but you said it even better.

Honored Contributor

@redhead78 wrote:

I am sorry this topic was ever brought up. It just promotes judgemental people and their unworthy opinions.

This couple made this wedding public. The press was there.  

Again, IMO  spending  43 million for one day : IS A WASTE!!!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

I wish them well.  Hopefully, their multi million dollar wedding provides a happy marriage.

Esteemed Contributor

I can't comprehend such numbers. They're out of my league.

Beyonce and Jay Z chartered a yacht in Italy for ONE WEEK that cost them $950,000. Yeah almost a million dollars for a boat!

When people have it, they spend it. It's none of my business what they do with their money.

PS The bride DOES have one hairy ring finger Woman LOL

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Trusted Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@MarieIG wrote:

Very well stated !!

I tried to say the same thing in post #24, but you said it even better.

Tinkrbl44:

Post #24 was contributed to an O.P. named "Red Convertible Girl" !

Have you just revealed that you are also the O.P. named "Red Convertible Girl" here on this forum ????????

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@missy1 wrote:

@redhead78 wrote:

This couple made this wedding public. The press was there.  

Again, IMO  spending  43 million for one day : IS A WASTE!!!!!!

Well, you have a right to state your opinion, but it is just YOUR opinion.

Perhaps these parents are billionaires, and they can certainly afford it, if it is their desire. 

Money could be spent on worse things that your only daughter's wedding.

How about drug traffics ?

As I said prior, I don't think it is even our business to "judge" how other people spend their money. 

Why are all of us so opinionated and critical of what other people do ? Aren't we just supposed to be concerned with only what we do ?