Honored Contributor

30 COLLECTIBLES THAT ARE NOW WORTHLESS

[ Edited ]

Even if you've never thought "Oh, save that, it'll be worth something some day" this is an interesting walk down memory lane.  

A few of these I've never seen before.

Are you saving any of these in hopes of selling at a great price some day?

Honored Contributor

Re: 30 COLLECTIBLES THAT ARE NOW WORTHLESS

The only collection I own is my father's old coins that I inherited about 5 years ago.  An appraiser told me to hold on to them.  I guess they will always be worth at least the face value.  

Honored Contributor

We got rid of several boxes full of vinyl records and playbills when we moved years ago.  Some of them may have been worth something but it was too much of a hassle to find out.  

Happy to see Lladro not on the list although I didn't buy mine with the thought of selling them!

Super Contributor

Interesting thread. Nothing is guaranteed in value. I do not collect as much, but I collect or collected what I love. It is also the “thrill of the hunt” to get a rare book, etc. at a great price.
Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 - Interesting artcile.  Thanks for posting.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm now thankfull for the days when I was too poor to "invest" in kitsch. 😁

I had a neighbor that said her collection of some 300 Longaberger baskets was part of her retirement plan. And pitied me.

Honored Contributor

Beanie babies

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

The only collection I own is my father's old coins that I inherited about 5 years ago.  An appraiser told me to hold on to them.  I guess they will always be worth at least the face value.  

@deepwaterdotter 

My dad left me his coin collection 5 years ago too.  

His dad used to carry a folded up $1 bill with him every day of his life. It's in the box. My dad told me it would fall apart if I tried to open it. It's full of lots of old coins.

I need to look through them again. It's been a long time.

I have never taken them to a appraiser. 

Don't know what will happen to them when I'm gone. 

I have some Hummel's, Precious Moments, Fenton but didn't buy them in hopes of making money off them. 

Trusted Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

I have my father's coin collection also...lots of wheat pennies and all silver fifty cent pieces and everything else you can think of. I will probably never take them to be appraised, I just will keep them because they were so special to him. 

As for those vinyl records~~~I don't care if they are worthless, I am keeping all things Elvis! Smiley HappyHeartSmiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Snowpuppy wrote:

I'm now thankfull for the days when I was too poor to "invest" in kitsch. 😁

I had a neighbor that said her collection of some 300 Longaberger baskets was part of her retirement plan. And pitied me.

I had an Aunt who thought the same thing. The Longaberger people were good at manipulation. 

Edit: Not the people who bought them...the people who sold them told people that.