Honored Contributor

Back then, women dressed for dates.  I always wore a dress for a date and heels.  Now, pants everyday.  Times have changed but I am retired. Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

Every day garter belts were not alluring, they were white garters that came outof a girdle and snapped and were ugly and left marks on your legs..not the seductive Frederricks of Hollywodo or  Victorias Secret...

Remember when ladies capris and pants back then, zipped up the BACK!!!?????

Esteemed Contributor

@lulu1  Didn't that F-85 have nice, clean lines? It was such an easy car to drive and parrellel park, too. Bet a white convertible with red interior was stunning! Those were the days of V-8's and that car moved. Four of us could ride around for an entire evening, then fill it up at a full-service pump for 25 cents each! Gas was so inexpensive in those days. Amazing that cars didn't have headrests, seatbelts, airbags or padded dashes at the time, but that car took me across the country on several vacations as a teenager. One of the most attractive cars I've ever owned . . . and fun to drive. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

@Mothertrucker wrote:

Every day garter belts were not alluring, they were white garters that came outof a girdle and snapped and were ugly and left marks on your legs..not the seductive Frederricks of Hollywodo or  Victorias Secret...

@Mothertrucker  ???  I never wore a girdle.  Girdles were not garter belts. 

Garter belts were indeed white back then but were just that-belts with the snap hooks.

The only people I knew who wore girdles with those snaps were older women back then.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Mothertrucker wrote:

@Mothertrucker  ???  I never wore a girdle.  Girdles were not garter belts. 

Garter belts were indeed white back then but were just that-belts with the snap hooks.

The only people I knew who wore girdles with those snaps were older women back then.

That may be so- I remember my mother and aunt wearing garter belts that were attached to some kind of ppanty, so I assumed it was a girdle..The garters left marks on their legs, so that, in the summer when we were at our beach house, if we went out to eat,  they used to have to wait  till their "marks"  went away before they would go out onto the beach in their bathing suits..Theuy were like red welts...

Honored Contributor

"It was a very good year"...

Honored Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

We dressed in that era.  Remember, pantsuits -- revolutionary attire that they were -- did not start pushing into our wardrobes until the early 1970s.

Women wore dresses or skirts in the '60s.  Jeans started to take hold then, too. 

@golding76

I wore "dungarees," the precursor to jeans in the early 50s.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

Lilac Tree,

You are so right!  We called them "dungarees."

Remember the song "Dungaree Doll, " sung by Eddie Fisher?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBwnYPg_Hu0

Honored Contributor

I was about 24 or 25 when nurses started being allowed to wear pants uniforms to work, so that was around 1973 - 74. My first job where nurses wore scrubs & walking shoes instead of white uniforms, clinic shoes and caps was in 1982. I was the happiest nurse on earth to get rid of those caps. I suppose nurses now a days have never even worn a cap or a wool cape instead of a coat. 

Honored Contributor

Until I graduated from high school my Mom would not allow me to wear nylons - only tights or knee socks. She was very strict about that. They came out with panty hose around my junior year in high school so I just bought some with my babysitting money, and my Mother could not deny they were the same as tights. I was oh so happy. Then I had to start shaving my legs - got lessons from Dad and one of my Christmas gifts was an electric razor.