Trusted Contributor

@lulu1 wrote:

@blueroses47 wrote:

This was 1965?  That's the year I graduated from high school.

It isn't that unbelievable because I distinctly remember wearing heels at that age in situations no one would dress up or wear heels today.

Summer of 1964 I went on a bus trip to the Democratic Convention in Atlantic City as part of a young citizens group or something.  It was just for the day, but I clearly remember the dress I wore, and I wore heels as well. 

Heels, to walk on the boardwalk, etc.  I can hardly believe it.

Times have certainly changed.

@blueroses47

We were part of the Young Dems.  Did you go to the youth rally with Lynda & Luci Johnson? (Paul Newman was the MC)  That night we stayed to see Bobby Kennedy introduce the film about JFK.  I will never forget the thunderous applause that seemingly went on forever.

As for the picture, my mother had that car in white.  We loved it particularly when we got our license.

Yes, my girlfriend and I were members of the Young Democrats for Johnson.  We worked briefly at our mayors house calling people advising them to register to vote.  As part of that work we went to the Convention to that youth rally with Lynda and Luci, Paul Newman was indeed the MC, (we were pretty far away, though, from the stage, I could barely see his face).  I remember there were some folk group(S) as well, maybe the Serendipidy Singers?  My memories are a little fuzzy at this point.

It must have been really exciting to see Bobby Kennedy.  Our buses took us home in the evening.  I remember it was a really long day. 

It's a nice memory for me to have.  I've never been to another political convention since. 

Respected Contributor

@blueroses47 wrote:

Yes, my girlfriend and I were members of the Young Democrats for Johnson.  We worked briefly at our mayors house calling people advising them to register to vote.  As part of that work we went to the Convention to that youth rally with Lynda and Luci, Paul Newman was indeed the MC, (we were pretty far away, though, from the stage, I could barely see his face).  I remember there were some folk group(S) as well, maybe the Serendipidy Singers?  My memories are a little fuzzy at this point.

It must have been really exciting to see Bobby Kennedy.  Our buses took us home in the evening.  I remember it was a really long day. 

It's a nice memory for me to have.  I've never been to another political convention since. 

@blueroses47

Did you have to wear the "uniform?"  We had white skirts, navy blue shells, white sneakers, a straw boater hat, and a sash with LBJ for the USA.

Valued Contributor

that was a VERY good year! 😊

Honored Contributor

Yes, we dressed in the 60's, I graduated highschool in 1968 and we still had a dresss code in public school. No slacks for the females and boys could not wear blue jeans to school. I thought it was odd that we could wear mini dresses to school, but not slacks.

Trusted Contributor

@lulu1 wrote:

@blueroses47 wrote:

@blueroses47

Did you have to wear the "uniform?"  We had white skirts, navy blue shells, white sneakers, a straw boater hat, and a sash with LBJ for the USA.

No, lulu1, no uniform. But now that you describe it, I'm thinking I remember seeing a lot of people wearing straw boater hats.  Maybe it's just the power of suggestion, though.

Where did you live at that time?  I was living in Woodbridge Township NJ. 

It's a small world though, isn't it?  Here it is, 54 years later, and we're both posting on the QVC message boards.  And I'm married to a man who, back in 1964, idolized Barry Goldwater.

Respected Contributor

I think the car is a Covair. I was 7 in 1965. I remember always having to wear a dress except to go out and play. When I was in high school is when we started to wear jeans to school. Pant Suits were all the rage. 

Honored Contributor
I was in diapers. 🤣
Esteemed Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

Do not forget how we dressed up for travel by airplane!  It was special travel and deserving of heels and hosiery, plus a stylish dress or skirt/top combo.

So many changes.

-------------

Mid 1960's  ---- my mother also wore gloves when traveling by plane!! 
      One thing I do not miss is wearing those horrible stockings held up by a garter belts,,,and then wearing equally horrible pantyhose.  So glad that has changed!!!

I have so many memories of me - always  late and in heels running down the halls at San Fransico airport trying to make my plane to go home for college vacation.  

Honored Contributor

@Lisa Y wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

In 1965 ,i was in the 8th grade.

@goldensrbest  I was born in '65. 😁

I was 4.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I hated wearing napkin belts. They were the worse things ever invented.Woman Tongue

Oh I hated those too, but they had to be better than those old enough to remember when you really used just rags.....and they had to be washed!