Honored Contributor

I guess you could ride a mototscooter in heels.  Central Park West and 72nd Street.   From Lost in History

Honored Contributor

We dressed in that era.  Remember, pantsuits -- revolutionary attire that they were -- did not start pushing into our wardrobes until the early 1970s.

Women wore dresses or skirts in the '60s.  Jeans started to take hold then, too. 

Trusted Contributor

This was 1965?  That's the year I graduated from high school.

It isn't that unbelievable because I distinctly remember wearing heels at that age in situations no one would dress up or wear heels today.

Summer of 1964 I went on a bus trip to the Democratic Convention in Atlantic City as part of a young citizens group or something.  It was just for the day, but I clearly remember the dress I wore, and I wore heels as well. 

Heels, to walk on the boardwalk, etc.  I can hardly believe it.

Times have certainly changed.

Honored Contributor

Do not forget how we dressed up for travel by airplane!  It was special travel and deserving of heels and hosiery, plus a stylish dress or skirt/top combo.

So many changes.

Honored Contributor

What is that convertible blue car in the background?? It's bugging me, I can't figure it out. thought it might be a Corvair but then maybe not.

ETA - It's a 1962 Buick Special Woman Very Happy 

Honored Contributor

In 1965 ,i was in the 8th grade.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@songbird wrote:

I guess you could ride a mototscooter in heels.  Central Park West and 72nd Street.   From Lost in History

Is she doing her nails? Just look ,.no phone!!!!!

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee  Mom bought me a 1963 Olds Cutlass F-85 convertible as a Sophmore. Same blue with white top and white leather seats. My science partner (a Junior) had a car just like in the picture! He saved me a place every morning in the parking lot. Nice guy. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

Freshman year in college we could not wear pants.  Skirts and dresses only.  The guys didn't have to wear ties and such but had to have either button down shirts or polos with regular pants; khakis were allowed.

2nd year the codes were cancelled; jeans were even allowed but with discretion-they had to be neat, not faded/torn/etc.  Many of us women still put on a skirt or dress here and there.

By Junior year students wore whatever they wanted to wear and jeans were pretty much all you saw.

I remember garter belts for heaven's sake.  LOL  What a day when pantyhose made a debut.

And don't forget your shoes had to match your purse. 

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

I really liked those older Cutlass cars. I always thought they were really classy for a sporty car. I bet you had fun driving your Cutlass! The car in the picture, I believe, was the last model Buick made with the name 'Special'. The name was changed to 'Skylark' after they started a new body style but it had the same engine and all. They sure don't make cars like they use to. @BirkiLady