Valued Contributor

I purchased a 14k gold chain a number of years ago and to my surprise it tarnished. Has anyone else have this happened to them with 14k jewelry. Also I have some Judith Jack pieces and I was wondering if anyone can give me some help as to how to clean them. I saw silver jewelry cleaner in my local jewelry store. Could I use that on my marcasite? Thanks.

Super Contributor

It's the alloys in the gold, probably copper, that's causing the gold to tarnish. For cleaning silver I use a polishing cloth for jewelry. Marcasite is soft so I wouldn't use any type of liquid cleaner.

ETA sorry I have morning brain. I thought you were saying malachite which is soft. I would just use a soft toothbrush and dawn or another mild soap to gently clean the jewelry.

Super Contributor

What melfie said. The gold will shine up like new with a little rub from the polishing cloth.

Respected Contributor

Don't dip anything with marcasite. I had my pieces from the 1920's professionally cleaned. As far as gold is concerned I have even had some 18k gold from the store with the little blue box turn. I went to the store and had them clean them. They told me that at times, the oxidation has to be polished out. I didn't know that. They also told me to never clean a piece of jewelry with jewelry cleaner and leave it slightly wet because if you store it, you may find tarnish after you go to wear it.....