Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

@Laura14  If you use a fake name and business address how would you expect the results to get to you? Most likely it would be returned as no one by that name was employed there. You would have to get a PO box but I think you would need identification to do that. You would also need to get a money order since to pay for it.

Whether or not you requested privacy, law enforcement can get a court order.

That's what happened on an episode of Bull. 

@occasionalrain   Results are emailed.  Nothing is ever sent to you except for the kit if you order it online.  If you want to avoid that, I believe certain retailers have the kit in store.  

And since I am not a criminal, I'll take my chances that law enforcement could care less about me and my DNA. 

Stop scaring yourselves about this or any other low statistic scenario.  Being curious and asking to be informed if you wish to be are perfectly legitimate ways to live your life.  And anyone who thinks otherwise should spend their money on other things.      

Respected Contributor

I have done both Ancestry.com and 23&Me, and got much better information from 23&Me, as I was interested in Homo neanderthalis ancestry as well as Homo sapiens ancestry.  Also, it took THREE tries for Ancestry to get enough DNA to test, and 23&Me got it in one try, and the results came back faster, too.  I did DNA testing originally to find out if the family stories I had heard were true, found out one was (Dad's family descended from Francis Scott Key's family in part) and one wasn't (Mom's family had no Native American blood after all).  In addition, through DNA connections we found out that the ancestor that took a new family name after running away from home (he was the ancestor who claimed to be half Native American) was the same man who another family was missing and looking for in their family tree (only one of a large # of kids who had no contacts), so that we found out that ancestor's real family name and origins.  All in all I am very glad I did DNA testing, I found out interesting and informative facts.

Regarding privacy concerns, I read an article yesterday about the DNA registry site that helped find the Golden State Killer.  It sounds like IF the FBI or local law enforcement wants to and can get a warrant they can have access to your DNA information, no matter the privacy settings you use.  However, getting a warrant isn't easy, legally, the cops are not going hunting your DNA for jaywalking! 

As long as you yourself aren't a criminal on the lam, you don't have anything to be afraid of.  Personally, if one of my distant relatives committed a violent crime and my DNA helped a victim or victims get justice, I'd be glad to have helped!

Esteemed Contributor

I bought DH an Ancestory.com kit for Christmas (black Friday sale).  My husband LOVED it!  He thought he was entirely Polish and Irish (not so; in addition to what he knew, he was a lot Scandinavian and a little Jewish).  For Christmas this year DH has already hinted that there is a kit for me (plus both sons (different mothers) and my daughter in law (who was raised on the Navajo reservation and is at least 95+%NA).  The Ancestory site, I believe, is owned by the Mormans.  I am very much in favor of all the good this information does, and in our (very traditional) family, we weren't worried about potential downsides.

Trusted Contributor

Does 23 and Me give you information regarding your health and possible unknown ailments?

Honored Contributor

@Calcgirl It does give you health information, IF you want it. I believe I paid a little more for that health info.

They were able to tell me my eye color, skin color, etc. As to possible unknown ailments, they indicate some things you might watch for based upon your ancestry. For instance, if your DNA shows you are Black, the report would indicate some of the diseases that are more known/common to be found in Blacks. 

Since they could tell what my color of skin and eyes were by my DNA, they mentioned some medical conditions I might watch for, based upon the data base they have accumulated for similar DNA.

Since I knew where my ancestors came from, it was interesting to see the migration map they outlined for me. Had they indicated something entirely different, I would have questioned the rest of their data.

It was not only fun to do, it was very informative.

One of the three DNA tests I did was with National Geographic, and you may participate in a data collection survey. This helps them to be even more accurate when they outline possible results due to your DNA.

I started to do that, but it is so involved, so time consuming, I did not finish it. There was never any indication of how many more questions there would be. After about three hours, I just quit. ha!  And I must admit, some of them were a little too detailed and I felt uncomfortable responding, so it was easy for me to quit the whole project before divulging more information.

Honored Contributor

@Calcgirl   The medical is a completely separate add on.  I have done both.  The medical side tests for genes that may predispose you or up your risk to an ailment genetically.  They do not test for determinative genes meaning if you have the "gene" for it, you will definitely get it.  They only test for non-determinative genes meaning you are more likely to develop it and bear in mind that most of your genetic risk can still be controlled through diet and lifestyle.  

Having said that, they do offer Alzheimer, Parkinson and Braca gene testing which really up your risk in certain cases to developing those ailments to the point that it is more likely than not you will develop that disease just based on genetics alone.  You can opt out of those results if you want to and just not know.

I had three things come back on my medical side.  Two I was at slight increase risk for and one I was in the highest risk category you could get genetically.  That was not easy to hear but, now that I know, I have made lifestyle changes and nutrition changes to hopefully compensate for it.

I hope this helps.  23 and Me will not diagnose any disease you may currently have, known or unknown.  You'll need a medical doctor for that.    

Honored Contributor

I was not too impressed. Just my opinion

Honored Contributor

@RINGER 

We (my brother and I) did our first DNA testing in 2005 with Family Tree DNA (FTDNA).  Later - added Family Finder at FTDNA in 2018.

Recently, we did the Ancestry DNA testng at the end of 2018

FTDNA - only shares with law enforcement with the donor's permission.  You can opt out.

At Ancestry - matches you with other donors who share similar DNA.  It's your choice if you want to contact them.  If you've ever watched the TLC show "Long Lost Family" .... you will have seen it in action.

I had one surprise - a great uncle had a second marriage that I didn't know about.  My parents probably knew - but those things weren't discussed at home.  

I wouldn't do 23&Me ... that's more "medical" related.  A close friend has used it because that's her interest.  I'm interested in  finding distant relatives.  And - have found quite a few!

Trusted Contributor

@World Traveler wrote:

@Calcgirl It does give you health information, IF you want it. I believe I paid a little more for that health info.

They were able to tell me my eye color, skin color, etc. As to possible unknown ailments, they indicate some things you might watch for based upon your ancestry. For instance, if your DNA shows you are Black, the report would indicate some of the diseases that are more known/common to be found in Blacks. 

Since they could tell what my color of skin and eyes were by my DNA, they mentioned some medical conditions I might watch for, based upon the data base they have accumulated for similar DNA.

Since I knew where my ancestors came from, it was interesting to see the migration map they outlined for me. Had they indicated something entirely different, I would have questioned the rest of their data.

It was not only fun to do, it was very informative.

One of the three DNA tests I did was with National Geographic, and you may participate in a data collection survey. This helps them to be even more accurate when they outline possible results due to your DNA.

I started to do that, but it is so involved, so time consuming, I did not finish it. There was never any indication of how many more questions there would be. After about three hours, I just quit. ha!  And I must admit, some of them were a little too detailed and I felt uncomfortable responding, so it was easy for me to quit the whole project before divulging more information.

World Traveler, Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question. Have a great day!

Trusted Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@Calcgirl   The medical is a completely separate add on.  I have done both.  The medical side tests for genes that may predispose you or up your risk to an ailment genetically.  They do not test for determinative genes meaning if you have the "gene" for it, you will definitely get it.  They only test for non-determinative genes meaning you are more likely to develop it and bear in mind that most of your genetic risk can still be controlled through diet and lifestyle.  

Having said that, they do offer Alzheimer, Parkinson and Braca gene testing which really up your risk in certain cases to developing those ailments to the point that it is more likely than not you will develop that disease just based on genetics alone.  You can opt out of those results if you want to and just not know.

I had three things come back on my medical side.  Two I was at slight increase risk for and one I was in the highest risk category you could get genetically.  That was not easy to hear but, now that I know, I have made lifestyle changes and nutrition changes to hopefully compensate for it.

I hope this helps.  23 and Me will not diagnose any disease you may currently have, known or unknown.  You'll need a medical doctor for that.    

Laura14, Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question. Have a great day!