Honored Contributor

šŸƒā€ā™€ļøBoston Marathon: #261. GO GIRL!

[ Edited ]

Wonderful positive message!

Does anyone remember the original '67 race?

-----------------

1st woman to officially run Boston Marathon to do it again,

50 years later

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/17/us/boston-marathon-kathrine-switzer-trnd/index.html

A 20-year-old Syracuse University journalism student made history in 1967 by becoming the first woman to officially enter the Boston Marathon.

Now, 50 years later, Kathrine Switzer will return to the Boston Marathon starting line wearing the same number an official tried to rip off her clothing in the 1967 race.

The incident was captured in an iconic photo that turned Switzer into a role model and launched her career as an advocate for women's equality in sports. Now 70, with 39 marathons under her belt, it will be her first time running the Boston race since 1976 and her first marathon since 2011.

Switzer has said she did not intend to break barriers by entering the race. After all, another woman, Roberta Bingay Gibb, had completed the Boston Marathon the year before without a bib.

But the photo exposed the ugly nature of sexism in sports, thrusting Switzer into the spotlight and altering the course of her life.

"Everything changed," she told CNN affiliate WBZ-TV. "I said, 'This is going to change my life, maybe going to change women's sports and change the world.'"

IMG_1290.jpg

IMG_1293.jpg

Honored Contributor

Re: šŸƒā€ā™€ļøBoston Marathon: #261. GO GIRL!

@sidsmom WOW!  Thanks for the post!  I didn't remember any of that!  I guess I was living in a hole!  Ha!

I learned something new today thanks to you.  It's hard to believe now this went on, but it is a reminder, isn't it?

Honored Contributor

We need to be reminded, just making the

decision to do something, a.n.y.thing,

can be life-changing into itself.

IMG_1295.jpg

Honored Contributor

Done deal....In the books!!  Congratulations Kathrine!

Today, at 70 years old, Switzer ran the race again. Wearing the same bib number she did in 1967, she finished in 4:44:31. She was the 9,859th woman to finish todayā€™s race.

This will be the last time anyone wears bib number 261, as officials have retired the number in honor of Switzer.

Honored Contributor

Damm, gurrrl!  

Props, kudos, respect, and total admiration!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

She's been all over the news in the New England area. She does not look to be 70 in any way, shape, or form. She usually does the tv commentary for the Boston Marathon.

It's unbelievable that women weren't allowed to run this marathon until 1972, but at the same time it isn't. Sadly.

Her achievement today is even more impressive because it was 70 plus degrees and sunny. Numerous runners suffered hyperthermia and dehydration.

"If you really want to shock the world unleash your kindness"
Honored Contributor

@sidsmom

I remember it well and even got what happened, in person from Ms Switzer. She came to our city, I think it was in the 1990's, she had an all day clinic for those interested in distance running. It certainly was not a free clinic, and I say why should it be?

She told her story and hsd a Q&A after to answer any and all questions from those that attended this clinic. It went from 9am through 4pm, with an hour break for lunch, which was provided for those that attended. It was just like a get together with many friends I met during my hundreds of Road Runs.

She had guest speakers, all experts in their fields, be it Cardiology/Pulmonology/Mental Acuity in relation to distance running/Exercise Physiologist, and of course your specialty,Nutrition. No particular eating program, just the foods best suited to ones performance in distance runs, and for recovering from them.

She certainly made a big breakthrough for woman and distance running, and also a great speaker, and soon to be author. Was one of many clinics given here in our city by those well known in the USA, and some around the world. There were runers like Frank Shorter/Bill Rogers/ Alberto Salizar, along with his coach, whose name I cannot remember.

Thanks for bringing this to this forum and for the thread. I know many ladies here are interested in exercising, not necessarily distance running, and her story is a good read.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

So glad to give everyone a good memory.

I love her message...but for some ready, it doesn't have to be exercise.

The word 'marathon' is a good metaphor for life.

Something you work hard for...the dedication.

For many, just getting up & slowly walking in their

neighborhood is their own personal marathon. 

Either way, there has to be a beginning.

Definitely Kathrine is a source of inspiration for many.