Honored Contributor

Re: QVC has n e r v e showing non-American West pieces during an AW show

The early afternoon show was supposed to be turquoise "featuring" American West.

I realize I'm a loner here but I don't care for the American West Collection. I don't like leather jewelry and despise the use of brass. Sometime in the middle of the night on Jennifer's program they had a peach colored leather bracelet with a big rhodonite stone. The colors clashed terribly; I thought it was the worst piece I've seen Carolyn do. I haven't even been tempted.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Perk up said:
"So where are the wonderful pieces we once got on the Fourth from Black Hills? Have they stopped manufacturing or has QVC just dumped them. It was one of the few items I liked to shop for since DH is from the Dakotas originally and he loves their pieces."

They've been dumped. This thread is about American West.
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Living in Santa Fe for many years, I have accumulated a very large collection of  Native American jewelry. I am a fan of jewelry as art. And I love the ethnography of pieces around the world.

Its sorta my "thang". Smiley LOL

I like the fact that AW is American-made. Its infused here and there with pieces deigned by Native American artists (although the majority are not and are indeed merely the style).

Often, AW - for me - is a bit too "western Victorian" inspired for my personal tastes. Its a valid style, just not my style.

I think what AW does best is when they offer a rather simple, contemporary design. I'm not a flourishes and 1870's silver mine curly cue details person.

And the pieces which attempt to look like or pay homage to traditional Native American pieces, while nice, are definitely fashion-bent rather than authentic in most ways.

Not that there is anything wrong with that. QVC is a fashion-oriented retailer and not a museum store, if you will. lol

When you live in Santa Fe, you obviously see the world's greatest Native American jewelry and designs. You also see the sticker prices. So AW, for what it offers, does a rather good job delivering at a very particular price point.

I have been to the WAREHOUSES of jewelry that are in Albuquerque. Not just the slew of stores offering more accessible items as AW is - but actual warehouses where there are simply thousands and thousands of pieces housed...and ready to supply stores everywhere (all over the world).

You then really see why the premier jewelers have the status and prices which they do. Most of the jewelry produced is "western native" (sometimes Native American) in mass production. Santa Fe and a few galleries in Albuquerque offer true artisan pieces. And the prices are in the thousands -to start.

Some of the best deals - sometimes (only sometimes) - is a find when you're in Gallup, NM. That's rather the heart of where many Native American artisans live, work or do a lot of business. When you hit upon an incredible old pawn piece...it can be INCREDIBLE in both quality and price.

(Even writing about it gets my juices flowing). Smiley LOL

So if one wants the basic "look", AW pieces, if selected carefully, can blend in or even do the trick. But in regards to the SB squash blossom necklace currently available, all that I personally see is a fashion piece. There is something "off" about the marriage between the necklace and the naja. Of course, they can be worn separately and there are myriad squash blossom designs made (there are classic, quintessential examples but also any variety of details).

But the naja's silverwork paired with the necklace look - TO ME - a bit hodge-podge or piecemeal. Its close but no cigar as they say in the cigar stores (or somewhere cigars are of importance to people). Smiley Happy

For the MONEY and on EZ pay, it can do the trick or give a person that squash blossom "fix". Its not one I would buy as it just looks more fashion than authentic. But again, that's just me.

In fact, I'd have preferred it had been sold just as the necklace portion. I think its more elegant and striking than trying to force that particular naja into the picture.

But a genuine, authentic NATIVE AMERICAN (and not just American) -made piece could start almost twice the price of the AW one. I have pieces which are now worth tens of thousands of dollars.

I once bought a HUUUUUGE Sleeping Beauty cuff for $200 at Santa Fe Indian Market (every August, by the way - a huuuge event) maybe 15 years ago. Today, its value is at $4500 approx.

I KNOW! Smiley Very Happy

But its Native American and huuuuuuge...and fortunately I was buying up SB when it really was still a true sleeper (of a stone).

Bottom line though as with anything, if you think its worth it to you and you can pay for it...you buy what you love. You'll rarely go wrong. You just don't want to ever be ripped off.

I think AW fills a niche and is quite reasonable for what it is.

Valued Contributor

Thank you for your insightful post, surfk.  I want to get to the Indian Market one day....I have children that live in Phoenix and was told that it is a short flight to Santa Fe.

Having just been to the western side of South Dakota, I did not see much more than "fashion" pieces of Native American jewelry.  Things more for the masses.

My dream is to get to Blue Rain Gallery and see more of Jodi Naranjo's work.

You are right, AW does fill a need if you are selective.   I am grateful for this avenue of purchase.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:
 Sometime in the middle of the night on Jennifer's program they had a peach colored leather bracelet with a big rhodonite stone. The colors clashed terribly; I thought it was the worst piece I've seen Carolyn do. I haven't even been tempted.

American West Sterling Rhodonite Braided Leather Toggle Bracelet

Super Contributor

Cracks me up when people come here and feel the need to make many negative comments . . if you don't like the jewelry, don't buy it, but don't rain on our parade . . geeze.  I really appreciate the N.A. info . . love the insite and really love authentic pieces.  I really appreciate how well-made AW usually is as well . . there's room for it all lol!

Heads up on the Jennifer cuffs - the ladies at Q events this weekend said they were very nice and all had nice heft to them.  One sista said the big domed turquoise (comes in other stones) ring is true to size and she loves it and bought it  I'm now looking forward to seeing the JN pieces tomorrow.  

I ended up buying the 2 stone coral ring and silver chevron ring.  I canceled the pretty spiny ring until I see if they bring an enhancer in the future . . I've heard they may. Smiley Very Happy  

Happy 4th, ladies!

"In my life, I've loved them all . . " The Beatles
Frequent Contributor

Jug,

Thanks for the info on the JN pieces from the ladies who have seen them in person.  The dome ring is interesting.  I have had a problem ordering rings from Relios lately.  It seems they are either too small or too big when I order true to size.  With the new Q shipping policy, I can't afford to be ordering rings that may not fit properly.  

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

motherinlaw wrote:

Thank you for your insightful post, surfk.  I want to get to the Indian Market one day....I have children that live in Phoenix and was told that it is a short flight to Santa Fe.

Having just been to the western side of South Dakota, I did not see much more than "fashion" pieces of Native American jewelry.  Things more for the masses.

My dream is to get to Blue Rain Gallery and see more of Jodi Naranjo's work.

You are right, AW does fill a need if you are selective.   I am grateful for this avenue of purchase.  Smiley Happy

=================================================================

Santa Fe Indian Market (some refer to it locally as Indian Mark UP - lol) is August 22-23 this year.

But if you come, try to arrive to include, if possible, the week preceding the actual fair dates. The culmination of the event is the fair. But events are happening all that week before.

And as its Santa's biggest event, "The City Different" is in its highest-mode catering to people coming from everywhere. Everything is buzzing then. Restaurants are dishing up their best, etc.

But Indian Market is more than the 2-day event in the plaza itself. There are gallery shows and juried events, etc...all around town that week.

People from all over the world come. Its incredibly popular still with Australian and German visitors.

I'm part Italian and I even run into people from our Santa Fe sister city in Italy, Sorrento. I don't see them when I'm in Sorrento but then I run into them on the plaza in Santa Fe.

Funny how this global thing works sometimes.

My only advice for Indian Market is: Bring a good eye...and money. Smiley LOL

And don't forget that Santa Fe is the oldest capital in the USA (yes, it is in the USA folks). So there's tons of history and other shopping to explore...if the $45,000 inlaid necklace might be out of one's reach.

Be sure also that everything Native American which you buy is SIGNED. Fortunately, Santa Fe has very strict regulations regarding authenticity and silver content, etc...Native American jewelry is one of the great cultural treasures of our country and the city does everything it can to protect that reputation and legacy.

Honored Contributor

That's the bracelet Lola, except the colors aren't true. The one they showed last night had very peach colored leather and hot purplish-pink stone. If it had looked like the photo. It would have been okay.
Honored Contributor

Jug town said:
"Cracks me up when people come here and feel the need to make many negative comments . . if you don't like the jewelry, don't buy it, but don't rain on our parade . . geeze. I really appreciate the N.A. info . . love the insite and really love authentic pieces. I really appreciate how well-made AW usually is as well . . there's room for it all lol!"

Well, Jugsie were all about opinions here and everyone has the right of expression. As you say, there's room for it all.

Did you see that Paul Deasy has blossomed out with an American-made collection? I guess he has the TS at Evine today but have no idea what it is. Didn't care enough to look.