Trusted Contributor

Re: branch library that i work at

i know just what you mean.  people today have become very rude.  they lack manners and think everyting is a righj or an entitlement

libraries have become a place for social media rather then books and for study.  one branch in our system has the word out that you do not visit when school is out because the middle school kids take over and you can't get anything you need.

people lack the tech knowledge to even make copies

Honored Contributor

What a beautiful place to work! 

Trusted Contributor

My husband has been at our library for 38 years. Started as a page(shelver), worked at the circulation desk, got his Masters Degree in Library Science, took over the Tech services department, and is now Assistant Director. He loves his work and loves books. He does the ordering of books for our library and we have a wonderful selection. Long live libraries and books!

Respected Contributor

I retired from a library system.  Absolutely loved working in the library.  Everything about it:  books, people, programming, events, books Smiley Wink etc.  Like a kid in a candy store.

The library was all of 6 months old when I was hired.  Beautiful place to work.  Very open with lots of light.  The architecture was featured in a Texas-based publication.

Some of my closest friends (still) were co-workers there.  We've all moved on, but stay in touch.  It's like time stood still.  Smiley Wink

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Respected Contributor

@shortbreadlover wrote:

i know just what you mean.  people today have become very rude.  they lack manners and think everyting is a righj or an entitlement

libraries have become a place for social media rather then books and for study.  one branch in our system has the word out that you do not visit when school is out because the middle school kids take over and you can't get anything you need.

people lack the tech knowledge to even make copies

How wonderful that the middle schoolers swarm the library when school is out. That's what it is there for.

For kids to WANT to go and read or do projects. Most libraries have summer programs for kids.

Why in the world would you have a problem with that?

Trusted Contributor

there have been complaints from other patrons that the teens are rude, and pushy.  many patrons just won't use the library for that reason.

i think it reflects on the manager that  the teens are getting away with this in the library as well as the  parents

Honored Contributor

@shortbreadlover wrote:

there have been complaints from other patrons that the teens are rude, and pushy.  many patrons just won't use the library for that reason.

i think it reflects on the manager that  the teens are getting away with this in the library as well as the  parents

@shortbreadlover.  What do you mean take over? What do they do?

Honored Contributor

I live in what's thought of as a bedroom community; people live here but work in the city so our library is small. The teens mostly use the computers and are no problem at all.

It's the young children who are disruptive.

Because it's small, there isn't a separate floor or room for their area and, unfortunately, it's more of a play zone than a reading one. Inconsiderate parents turn them loose so sitting to read a magazine or book is out of the question.

Trusted Contributor

It took me until I was 30 to actually get a library card — and I remember that day fondly. Now I tend to check out kindle books because it’s just more convenient.