Honored Contributor

School here too:

Ulysses:

For a college class.  Thank you for creating modern literature, James Joyce, but I detested the book in which you did it.

Honored Contributor

More current:

A Reliable Wife.  Horrible book about horrible people.

Frequent Contributor

Oh My Gosh! I forgot about "Beneath a Scarlet Sky".  I think those reviews were fakes. I thought this was an autobiography but as I read it started to sound really out there. With the girfriend being killed and all.  I finally figured out it was not true. I was so mad that I wrote a scathing review on Amazon.  I need to look and see if it is still there.  Worst book ever!!

Contributor

I also download sample first. I can tell in first few pages if I can like it enough to purchase.

Contributor

Ditto !

Trusted Contributor

@Calgal2too wrote:

Favorites include Born A Crime (Trevor Noah; I listened to this book, as I always do, and he narrates it, so listening to his South African accent for a few hours did NOT hurt my feelings); The Underground Railroad (Colson Whitehead), Circe (Madeline Miller); Becoming (Michelle Obama); A Higher Loyalty (James Comey); Bad Blood (John Carreyrou.  I live in Silicon Valley, so it was fascinating reading about this scandal that was practically in my back yard.)

Happy reading everyone!  I can't think of many things that are more pleasurable than losing myself in a good book.

@Calgal2too  I thought The Underground Railroad was a brilliant read.  Colson Whitehead will be releasing a new book entitled The Nickel Boys.  It's based on an actual reform school in Florida that committed grievous  attrocities against it's "students".

Honored Contributor

can't think of specifics, but a large % of new stuff I take out is awful

Esteemed Contributor

@insomniac2 

Hope you don't mind my stopping in on this thread...

Your comment made me laugh.

There was an episode of Seinfeld where Elaine talked about HATING the movie, The English Patient, and she created outrage for her comments.

I didn't see it or read it as the trailer was enough for me to know I'd hate it.

Valued Contributor
The worst book in recent years is My Absolute Darling by Gabriel Tallent. I cannot believe I spent money on that garbage. Please don’t waste your time.
Trusted Contributor

On the Road by Kerouac. I hated it by about the 5th page and had no choice but to finish because it was for a class.

Some of the best advice I ever got was that you don't have to finish a book you don't like. I was like someone else that posted earlier and I would always finish no matter what. Reading that advice someplace was like a light bulb going off. What a relief!